Chapter 8: Little Changes and New Faces

"I never craved attention until I tasted yours." —Sevn Ray

**

SOMETIMES the world is just unfair, Jisoo thought as she tiptoed to reach the book at the uppermost row of the bookshelf. She was almost jumping just to grab it when a hand suddenly took it. Her eyes followed the person who interrupted her.

"Why are you always struggling to reach for things whenever I see you?" Jinyoung said with a smile while holding the book in his hand. He tilted his head and stared at her in amusement.

"Here," Jisoo looked at his extended arm, offering the book to her.

"Ah, hehe," Jisoo scratched head before awkwardly taking it, "I guess it's the cons of being cute in size," she said which made him chuckle.

"Not just your height, though," he said, hands in his pocket. Jinyoung never removed his stares from her.

"Hm?" she blinked at him innocently.

He caught her eyes and told her firmly, "I think you're cute when you smile."

Jisoo was taken aback for a second until she laughed, "Well thank you for giving me another reason to keep my smile," she answered.

Jinyoung didn't answer but his eyes remained looking just on her as she scanned the book in her hands, flipping through its pages in silence. The sun rays escaping the big windows in the library illuminated her like a spotlight.

She looked beautiful and peaceful in that moment.

"Ah! I found the reference I needed," Jisoo suddenly said, snapping him back to reality.

She tapped his shoulder, his eyes followed her movement, "Hey, thanks for the help, Jinyoung!"

His gaze went back to her, "You know my name?" he asked.

"I called you by your name last time, too," she responded, baffled.

"Ah yes, I presume you did," he laughed shamefully and combed his hair, "How'd you know me, anyway?"

"Well, you're Jinyoung. You're popular around the university, ya know," she said with hand gestures and laughed softly, "I see you around too, so I know your name," he nodded silently, trying to formulate another sentence but failing.

"Jisoo," she then said and offered her hand to him. He looked at it and to her face again.

"My name is Jisoo, just in case you haven't heard of me yet," she smiled warmly at him, Jinyoung couldn't help but to smile back.

"Jisoo," he repeated and accepted her hand. His hold lasted for a second longer. Until a voice intruded their small bubble.

"Sooya? Have you found the—" Nayeon instantly stopped after seeing the two of them.

"Oh," her eyes traveled to their hands.

"Sorry," Jisoo noticed her gaze so she let go and faced her friend.

"Ah! By the way, this is Nayeon, my friend! We're searching for references to use in our group activity," Jisoo enthusiastically said and pulled Nayeon beside her, Jinyoung nodded politely to her.

"Uhm... Bona's complaining already," Nayeon laughed nervously while looking at Jisoo, "She said she wanna finish it to go have a bite now."

Jisoo smiled, "Hm! Okay!" she looked at Jinyoung again, bidding goodbye, "We'll go first."

However, after just one step, he grabbed her arm right away, "Wait," he said.

"Yes?" she looked over her shoulder, a little confused.