Chapter 21

Standing outside of Hope Regional, I was struck with a sense of dejavu. A deep breath steadied me before I made my way inside.

I forced myself to bypass the front desk, not wanting to risk procrastinating. Nathan should be back from his sabbatical by now and he needed to know about everything Andrew had thrown at me yesterday.

If I really wanted to protect my Omega Serum then I needed all the help I could get. Nathan probably knew as much, if not more than I did about male pregnancy at this point since he'd been watching over me from day one.

Nathan normally kept his office door open, so it caught me off guard to find it closed, just like the last time I'd been there. Shaking myself I knocked, waiting for him to tell me to enter. Instead I heard scrambling and then the lock being turned open.

A young man opened the door, looking me over. He came up to about my chin, but stood with such confidence that he filled the doorway, blocking Nathan's desk from sight. His shirt seemed to swallow him whole, one of his shoulders bare, showing off richly tanned skin.

"Who is it pet?" Nathan asked from within the room.

"If I had to guess from your descriptions I'd say this is Ryan. The miracle man who caused you a ton of heartbreak." He replied drolly glancing back at Nathan. The temptation to crane my head and see what was going on was hard to ignore. I didn't though, needing to respect Nathan.

"Let him in pet." Nathan said after a moment. The younger man turned back to me with a glare before moving to let me pass. Nathan stood up, towering over his desk, the master of his domain. "Hello Ryan. I don't believe we have an appointment until next month."

"Hi, Nathan." My voice wavered slightly, but I offered him a smile. "It's nice to see you. You look well."

"Drop the pleasantries heartbreaker." The younger man snarled, his eyes burning into me. Nathan had found himself quite the feisty little guard dog it would seem.

"Abram." A familiar hardness entered Nathan's voice, sending thrills racing up my spine even though it was directed at the red haired spit fire next to me. "Come here pet and sit."

Abram glared at me once more before turning and moving next to Nathan. There wasn't any chair available that I could see, so when he simply sank to the floor I shouldn't have been surprised.

"Excuse him Ryan. Abram can be a bit spirited at times." Nathan sent the minx an affectionate smile that tugged at my heart before turning back to me. Any affection there had once been in his expression was gone. "However he is right, there's no point in us dealing in pleasantries. So why are you here?"

Swallowing hard I forced myself to remember that this was necessary. Without Nathan's help my case may very well fall.

"I'm here about..." I glanced toward where the very top of Abram's head was visible over the desk, Nathan's hand lightly playing with his hair. "About the Omega Serum. I got a visit from my ex, and it would seem he's managed to replicate it somehow. He plans to take credit for my discovery once more."

"Well I'll admit that that does suck, but I don't see what this has to do with me. I'm just your OB after all." Nathan kept his eyes locked on me as he spoke, the betrayal and anger in his expressional still visible.

"I know... and I wouldn't even be bothering you but... I have a patent and I plan to fight him on this. The Omega Serum was my brain child and if I let him take responsibility for it, it will never make it to those who could benefit from it. He'll simply make it something to be sold to the highest bidder. All he's ever cared about if fame." Steeling myself I pushed on. "I want to ask you to support me and to testify in court for me if it comes to it."