Chapter 3

Tess parked her car outside Logan's home. She hadn't called him, hadn't done any of the things a normal, sane woman would have done. She didn't know whether she was more worried about him not helping, or what she'd do if he said he would.

As soon as everyone left the café, she'd put two muffins in a bag and driven across town. Logan's home was different from what she'd expected. She'd thought he'd live in an apartment, a bachelor pad he could leave at the drop of a hat when he raced off to report on a story somewhere in the world.

The two-story house in front of her didn't look like the type of home you'd be away from for long. With its wide front porch, steep gabled roof, and pretty garden, it looked like a home someone spent time in.

She picked up the muffins and the newspaper article. If she could have thought of an alternative solution, she wouldn't be here. But Logan was the only person who knew who the bride and groom were. The only person who could help them.

She couldn't let Sally, Molly, and Annie down. She couldn't let the bride down.

With her shoes clicking against the stone driveway, Tess walked toward Logan's home. She recited the words she'd practiced in the car. The ones that would make him realize how important it was that they find the bride.

With a pounding heart, she pushed the doorbell.

When the door opened, she plastered a polite smile on her face. With a frown, she looked down and tried not to stare. A little girl with short red hair stared up at her.

"You're tall."

"Stacey, I don't think..." Logan looked at her. "Tess? What are you doing here?"

"I..." She couldn't remember what she was going to say. She moved her hands and remembered the muffins. "These are for you. I'm sorry for intruding." She turned to go.

"You're not intruding," Logan said quickly. "My sister and niece have been staying with me for the last week. They're about to head home."

"Uncle Logan helped Mom pack the car," Stacey said. "We're going to the airport."

"Logan, have you seen my wallet?" A pretty young woman stood beside Logan. The family resemblance was so strong that anyone seeing them together would know they were related.

Logan nodded at Tess. "Jacqui, this is Tess. Tess, Jacqui."

Jacqui held out her hand. "Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you, too." Tess bit her bottom lip and tried to think of an excuse to leave. "Have a safe flight. I'll come back another day."

Jacqui looked at her brother, then back at Tess. "Don't be silly." She grabbed Tess' arm and pulled her inside. "Logan never introduces us to any of his friends. I was beginning to think he didn't have any."

"Oh, but I'm not—"

"Our secret's safe with Jacqui." Logan put his arm around Tess' waist and hauled her close.

She tried to step away from him, but he was every bit as strong as he looked. "What do you think you're—" His mouth landed on hers and she almost bit his lip. Until she remembered what she was here for, then she kept her teeth to herself.

Turning her head sideways, she ignored the zap of electricity that almost made her forget she didn't like him.

"Uncle Logan kissed you."

The words were said with such awe that Tess wondered if Stacey had ever seen her uncle kiss anyone.

Under the circumstances, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand seemed a little rude. So she pulled out a tissue and pretended to blow her nose.