Chapter 56- Not According to Plan

Frankie woke up in a room that was unrecognizable to her. Even though she had been living in the castle for almost the entire summer, she still just couldn't get used to the feeling of waking up in a different room that wasn't her dorm room or a room at the orphanage. In the summer, she had gotten too used to waking up with Tom sitting beside her, reading a book and grumpily waiting for her to get out of his bed. Frankie would always wander to his room when night terrors came to push her down a set of stairs, or toss a lit match at her. She hardly ever got nightmares during the school year. However, now that she lay in a big empty room all alone, she was plagued with them once again. Bursts of fire and blasts of a sharp green light. Piercing red eyes staring at her from the pitch dark and an unfriendly voice hissing for her to stay when she wanted desperately to run. Frankie had no choice, but to allow them to consume her resting mind and forced to power through them by herself. Although, she was still at Hogwarts, it didn't feel much like home at the moment.

Her room was in one of the many castle towers and decorated similar to the Gryffindor dorms. She was hidden, like almost everything was, in a deserted hallway that was forbidden to go down if you were a student. Frankie remembered Rodger Day would always tell her it was full of monsters, as if she were only five years old and that was enough to keep her away. He had always treated her like that, yet it unconsciously did make her avoid this hallway.

Frankie got up and brushed her hair at the small vanity desk in the corner. It didn't take as long as usual since it barely touched her shoulders now. She'd had Dumbledore help her cut it just yesterday. He was a remarkably good hair dresser amongst other things. She quickly dressed, rushed down the hall, and out of the castle down to Ogg's cabin. She had gotten up later than normal without her owl to peck on her forehead, or twitter and hoot his little heart out, till she awoke. Ogg, Hagrid and Dumbledore were probably already waiting for her. The four had gotten accustomed, being the only patrons in the vicinity, to eating their meals together. Breakfasts were generally at Ogg's cabin and lunch and supper were in the Great Hall, like usual.

"Good morning, Frankie." Dumbledore greeted, as she huffed out of breath in the doorway of Ogg's cabin. They were all crowded around the table in the center of the room, already digging into breakfast.

"I'm so sorry I'm late! I forgot that Twilit is with Tom right now and he's usually in charge of waking me up." Frankie apologized, sitting down in her usual seat between Hagrid and Dumbledore.

"If you'd like you can borrow Fawkes for a while." Dumbledore added, indicating to Fawkes on his shoulder beside her, as if she couldn't see the giant peacock-sized bird already. The phoenix had recently become a breakfast guest as well. Often, he would rest on Dumbledore's shoulder and nibble off the various creatures Ogg had hanging from the ceiling, while the others ate as well.

"Thanks for the offer, but it's almost a burning day. I would probably have a panic attack if I woke up to a bunch of flames." Frankie laughed, as she petted Fawkes's fiery feathered head. "I don't think he'd like to spend any time away from his master, anyway. Ever since you got him, Fawkes sticks to you like glue."

"I have grown very fond of him as well." he smiled up at Fawkes. The phoenix looked a little puzzled for a moment, but surely understood it was an endearing expression. Fawkes jumped down onto Dumbledore's lap, so that he could pet him properly and express more of his affection. It had only been about a month or so since Dumbledore showed up with him out of the blue, but since then they had become inseparable.

"So, what are we doing today?" Frankie asked, as she started to butter some toast and dig in to breakfast as well.

"Actually, I meant to tell you sooner—but we have a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher starting this term. He's coming today to get the gist of the place." Dumbledore answered. "He'll probably be staying the rest of the summer too."