Chapter 60- The Disappearance of Tom Riddle

Although, it had been nine years since she had graduated herself, Frankie continued to glide through the chaos of the castle corridors with confidence and a smile. The passing period swarmed around her, but she gave the madness no second glance. She got several waves from students who thought they knew her as she passed them by. Sometimes she subbed in for teachers while they were ill. Her official title was still Dumbledore's apprentice, but none of the students realized what exactly the job entailed. Students assumed she was an adrenaline-seeking adventurer when she was not stuck teaching their quaint little classes. Jet-setting around the world, finding ancient magical treasures, breaking powerful curses, and taking down dark wizards. It wasn't quite the glamorous position people made it out to be, but it still could've gotten her any other job she wanted. A brilliant young witch like her could've been fighting as an Auror, like her parents and most of her Gryffindor friends. Or she could've been taking over the Magizoology field like her personal heroes. She subbed the most for Kettleburn anyway. Frankie could even get a job at the Ministry and be in line for the next Minister of Magic. Slughorn made strong hints, now that McGregor Bane was finally stepping down, she would be perfect to replace him. Despite the fact she was considered to be a deceitful figure to the public eye of the magical community and far too much of a mysterious enigma to ever be a trusted politician. In Slughorn's not-so-humble opinion, she was wasting away at the school collecting dust under Dumbledore's guidance. There was still so much possibility waiting out there for her. She should've been out changing the world.

Just like Tom was.

"Frankie! Frankie..."

A voice called her name and she swerved around to answer the call but saw no one in the massive crowd of students that flooded the corridor. Someone had placed a nasty hex on Professor Beery and he'd been out in the hospital wing for a full week already. Frankie was filling in for his lessons for the moment, but she had the sneaking suspicion he would not be coming back after this. She looked around the crowd with a slightly worried, distressed look, until suddenly someone put their hand on her shoulder.

"Slow down! I'm not as nimble as I used to be, ya' know."

It was Professor Rodger Day. He was staring at her with his different colored eyes through a pair of reading glasses that almost managed to make him look scholarly. His position had not quite made him the responsible man of dignity and refinement that Frankie thought it would. She sighed and rubbed her temple, slightly debating trying to disappear into the crowd and escape his clutches. She already had a headache from a full day and talking to Rodger would just make it worse.

"Don't act like I haven't seen you rush to a meal before, Rodger. You're still nearly identical to that seventeen-year-old boy I used to know." she replied in rebuttal, with a cheeky sort of grin.

"I couldn't tell if that was meant to be a compliment or not." he pouted, much like that boy would've. "How was standing in for Professor Beery today?"

"Horrible. Those Mandrakes are terribly loud, even with earmuffs."

"I've always hated those little beasts. I nearly lost a finger to one when I was in Beery's class."

"I bet he told you it was your fault too."

"Naturally."

"They're very cute, though."

"Yeah, if you like fat, chubby, dirt blobs." he laughed at her. She cracked a small smile and chuckled. The halls were starting to thin, and Rodger looked around as if he was finally noticing they were walking the opposite direction of everyone else. "Are you walking back to your room?"

"Yes, I don't feel like supper tonight and I promised Slughorn I'd help him with grading some of the potions exams."

"Don't forget you agreed to take over detention duty for me later as well."