Chapter 63- The New Order

A boy with long dark hair was eagerly pulling a girl with fiery red hair along one of the many castle corridors of Hogwarts. They were polar opposites in every aspect. Light and dark dancing merrily throughout the halls, not caring who saw them. Their ties were different colors, but they didn't care. Prejudice had died down a bit with the arrival of the 70's and a Gryffindor and Slytherin could walk down a hallway with only a few dozen stares. Although, classes were over for the day, Severus Snape and Lily Evans were rushing off to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. Normally, they'd be off too Potions, since they were both at the top of their class and Professor Slughorn had decided to collect them for his inner circle. However, today was different and they were off to see someone else.

While they enjoyed spending time with Slughorn out of classes, today they were going to be visiting his stand-in, who also subbed for Defense Against the Dark Arts. Her name was Frankie and apparently that was all they were privy to know about her. She was a mysterious figure in the school, and no one was completely sure what she did, when she wasn't substituting classes. She was hidden in the shadows by Professor Dumbledore. Sometimes Slughorn spoke of her fondly when he was feeling cheeky and good spirited. She had been one of his favorites too, back in her school days. However, for some reason, it was forbidden to go asking questions around her. The pair found the mysterious substitute teacher to be a fascinating mystery and were keen to get to know her despite the regulations.

Lily and Severus arrived at the classroom to find the woman they had come to vaguely know and only see a handful of times since their first year at school. She was standing at the window, seemingly mesmerized by something in the distance. Her long hazel hair and her seemingly young face were illuminated in the warm glow of the afternoon sun. Severus intentionally cleared his throat to indicate him, and Lily's arrival and she turned out of her daze.

"Good day, professor. How were the rest of your classes?" Lily greeted, as she and Severus entered the room.

"Absolutely miserable. And Slughorn says his injuries from the latest Marauder's prank aren't going to be healed for another week or so. Looks like, I'll be teaching for a while this time..." Frankie sighed, as she sunk down into the desk chair. Ever since Rodger Day's death, the Defense Against the Dark Arts job had been cursed and no one who formally took up the position lasted there very long. Their latest choice had even left in the middle of the school year, leaving Frankie stuck there, attempting to juggle both Potions and Defense Against the Dark Arts. "Honestly, those boys are going to drive me and every other teacher in this school into an early grave."

"Who?" Lily questioned, curiously.

"James and Sirius's little gang. The Gryffindor boys. They like to call themselves the Marauders." Frankie replied, simply. Apparently, judging by her tone and what she thought was common knowledge, she had also gotten friendly with the four troublesome boys. They didn't know how much James Potter knew her, because they had spent the past year dedicated to avoiding him at all costs. Naturally, this news didn't please either Severus or Lily. Severus's face scrunched up immediately at the mere mention of them, while Lily visibly struggled the natural impulse to stick out her tongue in disgust.

"Oh. Them." Severus snarled, with pure hatred in his voice. His dislike of the Gryffindor boys in his year was obvious. Lily kept quiet, but he knew that she felt the same about those arrogant bastards.

"Severus, they're really nice boys once you get to know them," Frankie argued, obviously noticing his tone as one of extreme hatred. She'd heard it many times over the years. She knew it well. "James's father was tricky at first too, but he grew out of it quickly."

"Who else's parents do you know?" Lily inquired, probably hoping to get the conversation off the Marauders before Severus exploded. He was known to have a bit of a temper, when it came to those particular group of boys. They'd been taunting him ever since their first train ride to school and she felt it was her job as his best friend to calm him down again. However, it would also be a very telling question. While they'd rather die than go to James Potter for information, they could easily find another source in the school that might have looser lips than the teachers.