Night

✨✨✨

"Witch of Night/Trespasser's" POV

I stir once more, only fortunately not to an annoying light glaring at my poor, unsuspecting eyes. Ignoring the sharp pains in the back of my head, I stretch with a yawn as I blink sleepily at my surroundings. The only light there was, which was barely any, was a soft silver glow reflecting off the water off in the distance near the entrance of the cave. A sudden surge of energy and excitement hit me as I realize the source of the glow and I scramble onto my feet to run out to the entrance. Stuttering to a stop, I take a deep breath with a smile that I couldn't seem to contain.

Stretching my arms, I try to keep myself from grinning like an idiot as I gaze at the clear night sky that sparkled here and there with stars with one half of the moon illuminating the sky.

"What a lovely way to start the day," I sigh, feeling at peace for the first time since I came here.

"You mean to start the night?" An annoyed voice grumbled.

My head snaps to the source of the voice, my smile long gone and replaced with a cold front. My eyes scan the person in front of me, from his messy blond hair to his bare feet. The soft blue button-up shirt was only buttoned up far enough to keep most of his chest out of sight and his beige pants looked just as soft as the shirt and were rolled at the ankles. Finally focusing on the man's face, I stare quietly as I observe his features that were highlighted in the soft moonlight. His eyes were half-lidded with exhaustion, probably from waiting so late into the night, his cheeks were soft and round, apart from the slight stubble I thought I could see.

"Are you even listening to me?" The man complained, his full lips slightly pouting as he spoke with furrowed brows.

"Why should I?" I reply, staring straight into his dark brown eyes.

"Because you are trespassing on my land!" He begins to raise his voice.

"Calm down you buffoon. No need to get so riled up over some stupid land," I cut him off.

His lips twitched with a sneer as he glared at me.

"You only say that because you've never had your own place. You don't know what it's like to have someone waltz into your home and mess it all up."

I seize up as he strikes a nerve, but I try to remain composed on the outside at least.

"Didn't you read the letter I left for your idiotic butt? This land isn't registered territory anyway, I'm allowed to be here. I haven't even run into any form of a house since I've come here!" I shoot back at the man.

He's about to argue back but I cut him off by raising my hand to signal him to stop.

"Look, I'm not here for trouble. I'm only here because I have nowhere else to go at the moment and this is where the stars led me," I say with a sigh as I look out back up at the twinkling stars that winked at me.

"Well tell the stars to take you somewhere else and just leave!" He erupts, making me boil.

"Say that again. I dare you."

The Sea Witch's POV

"Say that again. I dare you," her voice was ice-cold as the night, darkness seeping out of her aura.

I stare defiantly into her rich black eyes that bore holes into me. I can't help but notice the twitch of her lip that was wanting to pull into a sneer and a twitch in her pale hands that remained stagnant at her sides.

"I said, tell the stars to take you somewhere else and leave. If you don't, then you're just a fake," I spat as she finally curled her hands into fists.

"I bet you can't even talk to the sea, you wanna be witch," she spits back.

My nose twitches in irritation as we stare each other down. I momentarily focus on the soft sounds of the waves and listen as they start to get stronger, starting to lap at our feet.

"I'm not a wanna be witch. The only reason you'd think that is because you are one yourself."

The air whipped around us, letting our clothes and hair fly as we stood at a standstill. Her flowing black hair whipped in the wind as she stood still, her black eyes seeming to be illuminated in the light of the moon. The softly illuminated land that I called my own quickly became dark, so dark I could barely see. The waves still lapped hard on my ankles as I stood still, waiting to hear her feet move against the waves. I flinch when instead of hearing her move, I see eyes glowing the soft silver-gray of the moonlight.

"Witch of the Sea," her voice was laced with anger and darkness, "it is in your best interest to not begin a quarrel with me."

"You think I can't stand against you? You are only threatening me because you feel threatened by my strength," I grin arrogantly, even though I knew that I was making a stupid decision.

The soft glow of her eyes darkened to black once more and what light was there in that moment was gone, bathing the area in utter darkness. The only sound that could be heard was the sea waves washing hard against the shore and cove, now reaching the height of my shins. I knew the waves were harsh and strong, but they flowed smoothly around my legs according to my will.

"A Witch of Night is not someone you want to mess with," her cold voice whispered harshly into my ear, making me stiffen in surprise at how close she was to me.

I whip around to where I thought she was but I was still met with pure darkness.

"Close but not quite."

Instead of turning around again, I force the waves to build and crash hard at chest level, expecting her to fall into me seeing as she was supposed to be on my side that faced the sea. Instead, I heard a yelp from behind me from where she was originally. The soft glow of the moon returned with the yelp and I turned around to see her limp against the rock floor of the cove, a few feet away from where we stood at a standstill originally. I was going to leave her alone until I heard a headache-inducing squawk.

"You idiot!"

I watch as the annoying seagull swoops down to the girl, nudging her and jumping on her to find there was no response.

"She's the one who started it," I mumble as I wander over.

"You child! Have you not grown up!" He hissed at me.

"I'm pretty sure I have."

"Age means nothing if the person never grows up," a familiar cold voice growls and the scene before me fades.

I'm confused as I see the girl standing still and strong in front of me as if seeing her limp on the rocks was just a figment of my imagination. She sighs as the natural light of the moon filters into the area of artificial darkness she had created.

"Sea Witch, fighting is useless and will only cause harm. I'm sure you already saw," her eyes no longer burned with coldness, instead it was strangely soft as if she was simply giving up.

"Fine enough. I don't feel like dealing with a dead body tonight."

Night Witch's POV

"Fine enough. I don't feel like dealing with a dead body tonight."

He storms off, and with him, the harshness of the waves disappears, now quietly lapping at the bottoms of my feet. My once light and happy mood had been destroyed and replaced with a distinct pain pinching my heart.

"I'm sorry Master, I have failed you again."

A/N: Does anyone else just listen to a screaming sheep on repeat for an hour straight? Because I did while editing this and that couldn't have described how I was feeling any better. 

This chapter is pretty long, not every chapter is going to be this long but not every chapter is going to be short, some need to be longer or shorter than others, just bear with me. 

Out of curiosity, what are your opinions on our dear Nova, the Night Witch?

- Kari :)