Common mistakes that you should avoid

For this first chapter, there are some things that you should avoid. These are the basic mistakes and mistakes that many people make. I make them too, and making these mistakes, doesn't necessarily make the book bad, but it's things that publishers will have doubts about.

For starters, you should never hide an important character. This means that you are not presenting the character until late in the story. I made this mistake in my book White angel.

White angel is a 176-page long story, and Faye, an important character, doesn't appear until page 80, which I found a mistake during my editing process. Because of this, I added a prologue where I mentioned Faye.

This trick I learned from a famous Danish writer, with whom I was writing a short story, where I made the same mistake. This is a tip that I have used a whole lot and I'm thinking about it very often.

The next tip is to have the grammar correct which I usually do not when writing in English. I am Danish and I write mostly in Danish. I suck at putting commas in the right places when writing in English. In Denmark, we have the seven comma rules, which I use to figure out where to put a comma.

The third trick is to avoid writing dryly. Squeezing a few idioms or extra adjectives may help. You can also create metaphors or do something in the style of; His hair was black as a raven.

These were three things you should make sure to think about when writing. Please drop a comment on what you would like to hear about next!