I Just Wanted Some Bread

Nalazak was starving. 

He had found nothing but bad luck since he arrived at New Haven. He was convinced he had been pickpocketed already and his meeting earlier had fallen through, with his client threatening to chop his fingers off. Overall, Nalazak felt that New Haven was not an ideal place for business. Everything here looked like it could spiral into chaos at any point. Even the weather was unfriendly. In the distance beyond the harbor's sea wall, which guarded the bay of water from pirates and attacks, was a large wall of fog coming in slowly.

He wouldn't mind, though. Those bread loaves looked too good to pass up. He got up from his hiding place and calmly walked across the street toward the stand. The smell was growing more and more intoxicating by the second. He was almost there and was ready to snag them quickly, having his hands open and ready.

Suddenly, a loud male voice made Nalazak jump, “What the heck do you mean 'no'?”

Nalazak clenched his hands and pulled them back to his sides. He clenched his teeth, hoping he wasn't noticed. If there was a knight here, he would be in trouble. He decided to calmly wait to see if it was near him. He was surprised when he didn't feel the hands of the authorities grab him.

There was another voice that answered, this one female, “I meant what I said: no.”

Nalazak looked around, trying to find the source of this conflict. He finally found the source about thirty feet away from him. He recognized a young knight talking to a casually-dressed woman, no, wait, the woman was wearing a royal necklace. She had to be someone in power here. A small group of people were gathering around them.

“Do you realize who you're saying 'no' to, Your Highness,” the knight said. “I am the single most skilled, amazing, talented, handsome, purely awesome, and humble man here. Everyone knows that. Why would you deny yourself of all that?”

Nalazak's eyes widened. This was a marriage proposal? To the princess? He wasn't sure whether to be impressed at the event he was witnessing or plain horrified at how it was unfolding.

“I'm not marrying myself off to an arrogant, self-involved brat, Sir Brandon,” the princess replied. “We don't even know each other.”

“We have plenty of time for that after this,” Sir Brandon replied. “Why are you being so stubborn about this?”

“I am not just some trophy, knight,” the woman said. “I'm more than that! If you really thought I was going to say yes to such an entitled and sloppy person like you, then you are the stubborn one!”

It totally wasn't his business, but Nalazak was enjoying this. He walked toward the group, which was becoming bigger as more people gathered. Making his way, Nalazak finally made it to the front and was watching everything unfold. Looking at both knight and noble, he noticed Brandon was looking very annoyed.

“You're a princess, Princess,” the arrogant knight spat. “The only thing you'll be remembered for is having a nice singing voice, talking to animals, getting hauled off by some monster or whatever, and some brave knight is going to have to haul you out of there. That is all you are and that is all you 
ever will be.”

The princess looked a little hurt from that, but she was doing her best to look strong.

“You're wrong,” she simply said.

“Am I though,” Sir Brandon asked, sensing weakness. “You really think you're going to do something big like I will? Keep dreaming! You're going to beg for this day back, when you had a chance to be something, to be someone. All you are is a scared, little girl!”

The princess suddenly slapped the knight. A loud gasp emanated from the growing crowd. Sir Brandon backed away, his face red. Nalazak's eyes widened and kinda chuckled, not loud enough for everyone to hear.