Tip #7: Making Readers Care

Author: avadel

Category: Writing Tips

Come one, come all, to learn the hidden magic to a relatable story

It's not unique characters, or fascinating worlds, or even spinning the most beautiful words. Shocked? Then lean in a little closer, and we'll you the secret...

First, make a guess:

Are you ready for the secret now? 

The most important thing to the story, the thing that will draw your readers in above all else, what makes them pick up your book and come back for more, is one single word:

Conflict.

What's So Enchanting About Conflict?

It makes the readers care. Weren't you listening?

Just kidding. Conflict is important because without it, you have no story. You can have the most fantastical world with the most awesome, snarky character, but without conflict, then your character is just munching on cereal in pretty scenery.

But what exactly is conflict? Here's a good definition from Study.com:

"A conflict in literature is defined as any struggle between opposing forces. Usually, the main character struggles against some other force. This type of conflict is what drives each and every story. Without it, the story would have no point or purpose."

This doesn't mean you have to have the most epic plot or to have all the details of the story figured out. But you do need to have something to motivate your writing. What is important about your story? Why are you writing it? Figuring that out for your story, or even each individual scene, will often answer where your conflict lies. With no conflict, your story is a series of unrelated, pointless events. Readers read to escape the mundane, so writing a story about a normal person living a normal life doesn't give them much to grab onto.