She didn't show up

Tom arrived his usual fifteen minutes early for rounds, his hands in the pockets of his pants. He couldn't understand why the tiniest little swipe about her lovelife affected her so much. He never really apologized but the way she refused to look at him in Transfiguration had him questioning it.

No one arrived for ten minutes. He was shocked when his fellow Slytherin prefect, Dottie Carrow arrived in Ophelia's place.

"Carrow." He addressed,

"Riddle," she said, "shall we?"

They began to walk, "Where is Marigold?" He asked.

"She asked me to cover for her. I don't get it, she's been doing so well. Did you say something?" Asked Dottie, and Tom's eyebrows knitted together in confusion.

"About what?" He asked.

"You wouldn't even know." She muttered.

"Tell me, Carrow." He said, his voice dangerously low and he saw her shake a little bit, "Now."

"Her ex boyfriend, he died." She said, "they spent time together over Christmas, he died a few days later." Dottie explained.

"How?" Demanded Tom and Dottie went rigid again.

"He was drafted, for the muggle war? He just was finishing his training and he was shipping out after Christmas." Said Dottie, "Lia didn't find out until she read his name in the newspaper. His parents were awful people who didn't like her very much."

Dottie went quiet a little afraid of Tom Riddle. He was incredibly intimidating, considering the rumours circulating Slytherin. About his death cult. Branding students. Then there was his sharp appearance. Aristocratic with a cutting wit. Even now, with his jaw set and hit eyebrows knitted together in thought, he was scary.

"Tell me about him." He ordered.

"Well," began Dottie, her voice a little shaky from how afraid she was of Tom. "Lia and I would give incredibly different accounts of their relationship. He was very romantic though, he always took her to the next town over to dance." She could not understand why Tom was so interested, "According to her he was the best kisser in Ireland. But if you ask me, he wasn't very nice to her. He played with her almost. He played the jealousy game. But when Lia loves someone she'll forgive anything."

Tom took all the information in, he felt guilt gnaw at the back of his skull.

"Elaborate."

"She has this thing about saving the damned. Seeing the best in everyone and all that Hufflepuff bullshit." Said Dottie,

Tom resumes his blank expression as Dottie went on about her own experience that summer, but he could give less than two shits about Dottie Carrow. So why should the reader have to deal with it when the narrator is following him.

"Carrow, he was a muggle?"

"Yes. Grandmother would have killed her. The only reason the Marigolds haven't been disowned is because they are just so likeable. But they are skating on some thin ice."

Mutually assured destruction.

"I don't think they were really in love," said Dottie, "I just think they had really big crushes on each other. But I don't know the whole story, you'd have to go to Primrose if you want the more salacious details. Do not bring him up around Lia."

Tom said nothing. Dottie narrowed her eyes at him.

"You did didn't you? She got upset and you feel guilty."

"I don't have to answer to you, Carrow." Said Tom.

"I wouldn't worried she will probably pretend like it never happened." Dottie said, "I remember I walked in on them, and the next day she pretended nothing happened."

"Silence."

She was scared into silence and Tom completes his rounds in silence and deep in thought