MONSTER OR NOT

NOTE THEN CHAPTER. PLEASE READ BOTH :)

FINALLY AN UPDATE.
Apologies for the long wait, I've been... Distracted. Despite being stuck at home for my country wide lockdown. How's everyone doing with the whole covid situation?

ANYWAY I STARTED ANOTHER FIC
My new fic, which pleeeease do go and read, is a crossover with Spiderman and Riverdale. And like, who hasn't watched Riverdale by now? (plenty of people, I know, but you get my gist. GO READ IT. I SWEAR ITS GOOD. YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO HAVE WATCHED RIVERDALE CUZ IT DOESN'T ACTUALLY FOLLOW TOO MUCH OF THEIR PLOT I MAKE MY OWN PLOTS.)

Anyway please go check it out. It's called 'Your Friendly Riverdale Spiderman'

I know, it doesn't have quite the same ring to it as friendly neighbourhood Spiderman, but I was struggling with a title, okay? Okay.

Enjoy this chapter.

__________________________

Peter had never before imagined himself hanging out with Flash. The two had never been friends. Yet here they were, sitting in front of a TV watching Harry Potter and discussing it as if they'd been friends for years.
"I'm right, I know I'm right," Flash said indignantly. "Viktor knows like, perfect English. He's just playing dumb."
"Is that what you do?" Peter joked. To his surprise, Flash laughed.
"I'm definitely dumber than Viktor. But at least he can fight."
"He had magic on his side," Peter pointed out.
"And quidditch."
"Quidditch isn't much use in a fight."
"Harry used it against a dragon," Flash said.
"He used a broom, not quidditch."
"Okay, well, I'm friends with Spiderman so let's just say I'm better off than Viktor Krum."
Peter was silent for a moment. "I don't know about that," he said softly.
"Would you teach me to fight?"
"What?"
"Teach me," Flash repeated. "So I'm not entirely useless."
"I haven't the faintest clue how to teach someone to fight," Peter said with a laugh.
"Just trial and error?" Flash suggested, shrugging. "Hey, look at Hermione. She is so freaking hot."
Peter laughed. "I'll be right back," he said, getting to his feet.
"Where are you going?" Flash asked, seeming concerned that Peter was leaving. Peter gave him an odd look.
"Bathroom. Do I need permission?"
"No, no, of course not," Flash muttered, looking embarrassed.

Peter glanced at himself in the bathroom mirror as he finished washing his hands and stopped in surprise, staring in confusion at the two reflections staring back at him. He tilted his head to one side, both reflections mimicked the movement. He tilted it back. Both did that.
Why was he seeing double? It wasn't like he was short on sleep, he'd just been sleeping. Peter frowned in confusion.
One reflection mimicked him.
The other grinned.
And then his spidey senses were on fire. Peter spun around and there it was. The source of the other reflection: another Peter.
"Well, well, well," Other Peter said in a voice that he recognized from the room they snuck into. The room where UB03 was kept. "We're finally alone! I'm so glad."
"What do you want?" Peter said slowly, remembering furiously that he didn't even have his web shooters. Why had he left everything in his room?
"I just want to be friends!" UB03 said, spreading his hands, or rather Peters hands, wide. "Come on, I've been stuck here for years! It's beyond lonely, my friend."
"I'm not your friend," Peter snapped. "Can you please not... Look like me? It's kinda disorienting."
"Perhaps that was the intention," UB03 said mysteriously, twirling his hands. "Would you rather... This?"
"Oh, no, no, no, no, stop that now!" Peter lunged at the thing now dressed as MJ but it simply darted to the side, so quickly that Peter almost didn't see it.
"Any better?" UB03 asked, switching into Flash's skin.
Peter groaned. What had he done to deserve this? Couldn't they just have one place where they could be safe from things like this? One place! "What do you look like?" Peter asked, finding it rather uncomfortable looking at the people he knew and knowing it wasn't really them.
"I don't look at all normal," UB03 said breezily. "I have no age, gender, etcetera." As he spoke, he ranged through various different faces from baby to old and wrinkly, from man to woman. It made Peter dizzy looking at it. "I'm a little special."
"I can see that," Peter muttered. "So how did you get out?"
"Oh, I've always been able to," UB03 said, shrugging Bucky's shoulders. "I've just never revealed that I can. I can get out of the cage, out of that room, but I've never figured out how to get out to the world again, you know?" Peter shook his head and UB03 sighed. "You wouldn't know. I'm sure the world loves you. I hear they call you... Spiderboy?"
"Spiderman," Peter corrected. LAnd actually, the worlds pretty mad at me at the moment. That's why I'm down here."
UB03 sighed. "What did you do that they think they have to keep everyone safe with you down here?"
"It's the other way round," Peter said. "I'm here, same with the others, to keep us safe from the world. We-wait, why am I even talking to you?"
"Because I'm listening, Peter," UB03 said. "We all know it's nice to have someone listen to you every once in a while."
"No one wants monsters to listen to them."
UB03 put Peters face back on, and perhaps Peter was just used to seeing himselfnsad in his reflection, but his face on UB03 definitely looked very sad. "Who says I'm a monster?" It said. "The same people that locked me up, alone, for decades? That's a little monstrous, don't you think?"
"They only did it because you're a danger to people."
"Am I?" UB03 came closer, eyes drooping with sadness. It's fake. Fake fake fake sadness. "So what did I do then? Why am I dangerous?"
Peter racked his brain, finding it hard to focus. Had Bucky and Wanda told him? Or had they just simply said it?
How did he know why it had been locked up?
"Tell me then," Peter said slowly. "What have you done?"
UB03 whirled away from him. "Oh I've done some terrible things," it said, voice hardening. "But trust me, I'm no monster."
"That's exactly what a monster would say."
"Fine," UB03 said, turning towards Peter once more. Peter gasped, knees weakening. He had to brace an arm against the basin to keep himself properly upright. "Monster," said Tony Stark. "Or not?"