09

They both were quite for some time, thinking about what to say and what to do next. Kaycee couldn't believe it once in her life, had she thought that one day she would be talking to Sean Lew and in her own backyard on less. Unexpectedly, she burst out laughing.

"What?" Sean asked with astonishment.

"Oh nothing, it's just that, I never ever thought that I would meet you, and today, here I am, conspiring with you regarding this whole fake dating scenario. Who would have thought that one day you would be standing in my backyard talking to me? I mean people like you don't join together with the people like me." Kaycee said trying to explain her point.

Sean grimaced a bit at her explanation.

"What do you mean by people like me?" Sean asked sharply.

"Oh don't take it the wrong way. What I mean is..." Kaycee paused trying to find the appropriate words. "I mean, come on, you are the famous Sean Lew and I am just the unknowing weirdo Kaycee Rice. We don't belong to the same league. It's an unsaid rule of every school.  The popular ones don't associate with the unpopular ones." Kaycee said in the best way she could.

Sean was astounded for the next few seconds, and then he did the most unexpected thing. He started laughing at her explanation.

"Who told you all these things?" Sean asked with an amused voice.

Kaycee just shrugged. "It's just how I've seen it work in my school since my childhood days. Popular kids bully those who are not like them. Why do you think Jenna and I don't get along?Hell! Even Francesca and I don't get along, despite being cousins. It has been like this since we were like, 4 year old kids. She always insult me and I retort back." Kaycee said, at the same time becoming lost in the memories of her childhood.

Sean simply looked at her intently. What she said was probably right.
He had once seen his cousin, Karl Thompson, bullying some younger kids in his neighborhood. But was he himself, reall the kind of boy who bullied others?

'Does she think that I am also one of them?' Sean mused, feeling a bit disturbed. What if Kaycee thought that he was also the kind of guy who believed himself to be above others?

"Do you think I'm the same as them?" Sean asked before he could process what he was saying.

Kaycee smiply shrugged. "I don't know much about you and looking at the fact that you have gotten yourself into a bet upon me...I don't know what to think about you." Kaycee said bluntly.

Sean suddenly felt as though he
should prove himself to Kaycee.

To show that he wasn't like those
who insulted, hurt and bullied others. However, instead of explaining to her that he wasn't a bad guy, he became defensive.

"Then why did you agree to help me?" Sean asked feeling a bit irritated.

Kaycee merely stared at him, unable to answer his question. She knew that it was mainly to get back at Jenna, but the more she thought about it, the more she felt like this was not the only reason. To be truthful, she didn't know why she agreed to help him.

'But I just can't say this to him; he would think I've gone nuts.' Kaycee thought exasperated. "It's because I want to get back at Jenna. She has made my life a complete hell in school." Kaycee answered feebly.

Sean gave her a look, which said, 'I don't believe a word you said.'

"So, what do we do now?" Kaycee asked, changing the subject.

Sean simply shrugged his shoulders.
"Tell others that we are dating." He replied.

Kaycee nodded and started thinking about what could be done. Suddenly an idea popped in her mind. She smiled complantley to herself.