Chapter Thirty One - Silver Lining

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

c h a p t e r t h i r t y o n e

{Silver Lining}

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Skylar's POV

Forty-eight hours until we step foot in the courtroom. The nerves are emanating off of Jayden like heat, but as always, he's holding it together well. I think it's the lawyer in him. The court has yet to allow him to establish paternity by a blood test. I know from my experience as a social worker, that will not go over well.

That blood test means the world because nothing else will justify him as the biological father. The letter Olivia sent doesn't hold much weight because they would have to further investigate if it was real and knowing the court, they won't. Since Jayden isn't on the birth certificate and seven years have passed since Ellie was born, that seals the deal for the court to refuse. In their eyes, they will consider him a "bad father" because he didn't reach out in time.

The facts are looming over our heads like storm clouds, but we're patiently waiting for the silver lining.

"You can insert your card now," the cashier addresses as I stand here lost in thought. I insert my card and watch the transaction go through. I push the shopping cart out to my car and load my groceries.

To lighten the mood, I'm making dinner for Jayden tonight. He doesn't have a clue. I invited Marlee, Dylan, Raven, and Wyatt over to spend the evening with us. I want to surround him with people so his thoughts don't eat him alive.

I hurry home as fast as I can because I'm not sure when Jayden will be home, and I want this to be a surprise. He is probably sick of surprises at this point.

Trying my best to make only one trip, I shove the mail I got from the mailbox under my arm and haul the groceries inside. Before I forget, I set the stack of mail on Jayden's office desk and begin marinating the steaks. Raven meanders into the apartment not too long after me.

"I brought the wine," she sings, a devious grin dancing on her face as she holds the bottles in the air.

"Thank you so much." I pull her into a hug. When I let go, she claps her hands together eagerly asking how she can help. I direct her to the potatoes that need peeling and we find our rhythm.

"So we do not bring up the hearing?"

I shake my head. "No, I'm trying my best to get his mind off things."

"You guys deserve a vacation after this."

That would be very nice right now. Changing the subject, I ask Raven how she has been, and a new conversation sparks up fast. A lot of what she's saying we've already talked about over the phone, but there is something about talking in person which makes it better.

"Is it too early? I just think we're at a good age to take the next step..."

I push all the freshly chopped vegetables onto a bed of lettuce. "I don't think it's too early. Maybe Wyatt just isn't ready for marriage at the moment."

Raven sighs. "Our relationship is like a teeter-totter that isn't moving."

I chuckle at her comparison. "Have you talked to him about this?"

"No. It's like telling someone you want them to compliment you and then when they do it doesn't feel sincere."

"You are just full of analogies tonight, aren't you?" I stop what I'm doing and turn toward my best friend. "But Raven, it is not like that. Marriage is a two-way street, you both have to want it. And you can't just expect Wyatt to know you're ready. Out of us, you know how the mind works best, little miss psychologist." I wave my finger at her. "So what would you tell a patient if they said all of this to you?"