23 August, 1974 - Letters

Dear Vin,

No, I haven't heard from Alexandra this summer, but honestly I wouldn't expect to. You remember what happened last time I addressed her directly. Something about distracting her from her conversation with Reg, I think. I agree that it's odd she hasn't contacted anyone, but knowing Alexandra, she's probably on holiday somewhere and forgot we exist. Have you asked Reg? If she's talked to anyone it would be him.

There's not much new to report here. My parents are still being their usual selves. The yelling died down a bit recently, but I think that's because they've gone hoarse, so I'm not sure it counts. I've been spending most of my time outside, sometimes with Lily (she's a good person, even if you won't admit it) or in the muggle village. Don't judge me too harshly. I've been really bored lately.

The muggle library is actually fascinating. I came across a muggle subject called "chemistry". It's like the muggle equivalent of Potions and it's really fascinating. I think I can probably take some of the concepts and apply it to Potions, actually, particularly their ideas of acids and bases, which I won't bother explaining because I could go on for ages and we all know you'd skip half the page :)

How's life in your world? Eloise said something about garden parties so I can imagine you're having the time of your life (sarcasm). If you get sunburned you have to send me a picture. I want to see you looking like a peeling tomato. Don't kill me for that. I say it only because we all know you always look perfect and any change from that would give us all a good laugh.

Write back soon!

Your friend,

Severus

P.S. Normal people don't celebrate half-birthdays, but I appreciated the sweets anyway. You're too good to me. Thank you.

Lavinia smiled down at the letter, absently stroking Paris's head as the owl rested on his perch next to her desk. Her letters from her friends were the highlight of her vacations and Severus had been particularly consistent in his responses. It was nice to remember there were people who lived in a world where their every word wasn't being judged for hidden meanings. And his dry, teasing humor made her chest feel full every time she read his letters.

She hadn't thought much of the sweets. His half birthday had been an excuse, really, and she'd been late to it anyway. She'd simply wanted to give him something. But she was glad to know he'd enjoyed them.

She scanned the letter again. It was indeed odd that Alexandra wasn't writing to anyone consistently, though she admittedly hadn't written to ask Regulus yet. She hadn't known how to start that letter after what Walburga had implied only a few weeks ago. Dear Reg, your mother wants us to marry. In other news, have you heard from any other girls lately? How awkward would that have been.

She smiled rereading his description of muggle chemistry. Of course he would find a way to apply it to Potions. Severus was always tinkering away and his potions books, of which he had far too many in Lavinia's opinion, were covered in annotations, corrections and improvements.

She pulled a piece of parchment from the stack on the corner of her desk, dipped an eagle feather quill in her ink and began to write a response.

Dear Sev,

I should write Reg, but I think Paris might kill me if I send him on another trip. You're right though, he would be the one she'd stay in contact with. And there's a good chance you're right about her being on vacation too. She would forget about us as soon as some French boy caught her fancy. You know how much she loved exotic accents. Don't tell her I said that.

I'm sorry to hear about your parents, but I'm glad it's dying down a little.

She paused, knowing she ought to address the comment about Evans. She didn't want to criticize Severus for his choice of friends, and frankly, she didn't mind Evans much. She at least made an effort to stand up to the Marauders when no one else seemed to. But in the same breath... it was Evans. And for reasons involving feelings too complicated to deal with, Lavinia couldn't shake the jealousy and resentment that rose every time Severus mentioned her. Which was annoyingly often.

She sighed, and resumed writing.

I don't hate Evans, and you know it, Sev. You also know what I'm going to say next: don't tell anyone that. I wish you would stop suggesting I do. But you also know how my family is.

She paused again, rereading the sentence. She hoped that got the point across. Even if Severus was utterly baffled by the world Lavinia's family operated in, he had to at least understand the trouble she'd be in if she dared associate with muggle borns. Or Gryffindors. Much less muggle born Gryffindors, which was exactly what Evans was.

Muggle chemistry sounds fascinating, but I think I'll let you do the tinkering. Just make sure you pass on some tips to me :) I resent the implication that I'd skip over anything you took the time to write... but if we're being honest, I'm glad you left it out. You know me well.

"My world" is having a fine time pretending the Black family isn't slipping from it's pedestal. Between Sirius (I apologise for even mentioning his name) and Andromeda, they've had a few too many deviants lately. But as you spared me from the ramblings of muggle subjects, so I will spare you from the pureblood political scene. You're welcome in advance.

I also am afraid I must disappoint on the sunburn front. I am as much a sheet of paper as ever and I've no doubt Eloise will be sure to inform you that I've been hiding in the shade to avoid exactly the image you describe. I will continue to do, perhaps with more vigor now I know everyone is just waiting to see what I look like when half baked. To compensate, I will do my best to give you all a good laugh through other means.

And again she paused, wondering how to sign the letter. She struggled with it every time, and she knew it was silly. But she wanted to come off right. She wanted so desperately to say she missed him. But it would sound too forward and whether she'd admit it or not, he didn't miss her like that. She sighed, and signed:

I look forward to seeing you soon. Your friend,

Lavinia

Satisfied with her final product, Lavinia rolled up the parchment and clicked her tongue to signal to Paris she had a letter to attach. He gave her a distinctly critical eye, but nonetheless held his leg out. Once tied she stroked her head again and offered him an owl treat in apology. He had been getting rather a lot of exercise recently and frankly deserved a break. But, then again, term would be starting soon anyway.

Paris cooed softly, tugged affectionately at a strand of her hair with his beak and flew out her open window. She watched him go, more eager for term to start than ever before. She wanted to see her friends again and, if she was honest, as horrible as it was, she wanted to get away from her family again. Their constant presence in her life, asking her who she had written to, what she had said, when she was going to do her homework, if she had read her textbooks for the coming year yet and so on and so forth was getting exhausting.

Of course, it didn't help that she was fully aware that this would be the last year of relative peace for Lavinia. Fifth year was OWL year and she was certain that would be torture. And from there, NEWT subjects and exams were unlikely to be any better. She was, therefore, absolutely determined to make this the best year she'd ever had at Hogwarts.

She was especially looking forward to seeing a certain someone. But Lavinia being who she was, she spent far more time and energy avoiding thinking about that then trying to come to terms with the shift in her feelings of late. It wouldn't matter anyway. Her future was set. And she knew he didn't like her back. But still, it was nice to pretend sometimes.

Brushing away those thoughts, as usual, Lavinia glanced at her clock. She checked herself in the full length mirror on the opposite wall, twisting this way and that in an attempt to make sure her shirt was tucked all the way in and her hair looked perfect from the back. Determining she looked passable, Lavinia took a deep breath and left her room to head downstairs to yet another stressful family dinner.