Chapter 17

The tour of the gardens and maze was incredible. The effort put into creating this beautiful lavender farm impressed them all to no end. Angela even had them watch how lavender oil was produced. It was rather fun. The maze was exciting, yet claustrophobic. Angela had them go in as a group and try to find their way out alone. She could save them if they were to get lost, but they tried anyway. Of course, they became hopelessly lost in the tall shrubs and had to be rescued but it was really quite an exciting adventure, one Tia didn't think she'd enjoy. Elijah, on the other hand, was still preoccupied with thoughts about the cold stare he received from Tia and so could not really enjoy the scenery much at all. "Great. Just great. She's starting to ruin the trip for me," he thought as they escaped the maze. He wished he didn't care about how bitter she had acted towards him but for some strange reason, he kind of really did.

That is why, during the two-course meal at the lavender farm, he tried making amends.

"Wow, that tastes really good," he said, taking a bite of the chicken. "Have you tried it, Tia?" he asked her. She looked at him then back at her plate that had a piece of chicken that was clearly being eaten and said nothing. "Oh, uh – I was just – sorry, I - I didn't see..." he stammered, not bothering to finish his sentence, for she had turned away.

Aladdin and Vanessa eyed them from the side, unsure of what to make of this conversation, if you could call it that. Because, in all honesty, Aladdin and Vanessa were just dying to have the two fall in love – or at least fall in friendship. It made the trip a little more entertaining for them and gave them something to talk about.

"I don't know but I'm seeing Elijah becoming a little softer toward her," Vanessa whispered to Aladdin, making sure the others weren't listening.

"I agree. I don't think I've ever heard him stutter when talking to her," Aladdin added.

Vanessa smiled. "That's true. He's definitely becoming at least more tolerant of her."

"But what's the deal with Tia?" Aladdin whispered. Vanessa shrugged.

"I dunno. But she seems to hate him more than ever," she said, looking at Tia discreetly.

"You have to speak to her, ask her what he did to make her hate him," Aladdin said, nodding.

"I can't do that!" Vanessa gasped. "That's none of my business."

"Oh like any of this is your business," Aladdin smirked.

"Good point. Okay, I'll see if I can get her alone. Maybe tonight," Vanessa agreed.

Tia ate her food in silence the whole time, bummed that she was stuck beside Elijah instead of Aladdin or Vanessa. She did not feel like talking to him today – or ever. Suddenly, she looked over at Vanessa, who was whispering in Aladdin's ear.

"What are you two talking about all quiet?" she asked, making the pair jump. Elijah hadn't noticed them. He turned and surveyed them. Neither of their faces could be read.

"Nothing," Vanessa said casually. "We just like having whispered conversations. Makes people think we have secrets." Aladdin nodded, impressed by how great of a liar Vanessa was. He'd never noticed that before.

-

The strawberry picking was possibly the best part of the day so far, for everybody. They were allowed to roam free throughout the field, picking strawberries and filling their straw baskets to the brim. It was the feeling of absolute freedom that made this activity one of the best, especially with the summer sun beating down on them. But when it was over, they were really very tired and couldn't wait to get back to their rooms to rest up.

After thanking Angela a thousand times for the most amazing day ever and taking a small carton of strawberries each, they all piled into the rented minibus and went on the three-hour journey home.