13

Part 2

They had done the whole deal. Lawn chairs and all that, beers in ice-box's that were facing the more beautiful side of the desert; it wasn't everyday that the two of them got to see each other.

Vicky had even offered to finish the cooking, and they sat behind the barn where they couldn't be disturbed by the constant sounds of drooling and other awful stuff.

Adrian was even beginning to calm down a little bit. His farm reached on for ages, bending down in dead paddocks before it eventually hit a barricade of trees. The yellowness of it all unhindered by the rain - which had stopped completely in the time of them setting up, but stuck around in small, shiny puddles every here-and-there.

He was shuffling the points of what he wanted to say, as one would do with palm cards before a stressful powerpoint.
He's Ren. He'll understand... surely.
Or he'll hate you.
... fuck. This was a bad idea. He's just going to eat up what I say and let it stir and plague around in his mind. It'll make him hate me... and I can't have that... I've got to get out of here. I've got to tip out my beer and run like the wind. Before my stupid mouth can blurt anything out. Fuck, why can't I be like Skim? Why can't I stutter and struggle my sentances so nothing comes out, so I can't risk getting myself in anymore messes like this? More and more ounces in until I drown in guilt as the teenager's in my barn drown in their sorrows.
He'll hate you for this. He'll hate you like Skim hates you.

Adrian tried to lift his paws to assist him standing up, but his brother's words locked him back down quick and fast.
"Woah. Easy there cowboy, you're acting all skittish." Ren held his paw out flat, as if that was the force that cemented Adrian to his seat.

A bead of sweat dripping its way down the fur on Adrian's face.
"Yeah," Was he this short of breath before? "Yeah... I'm just..."

Ren looked at his brother, no, he stared. He had been caring for people with mental issues for a year now, and he had gained many medical-skills in that time. Useful skills, of being able to tell when shit would happen before it did.
'It's like maths' he said one time a few months back, as he had injected adrenalin into one of the teenagers to keep them alive. 'you get these signs, and if you know what they mean, you can almost count them in your head like an equation. This, plus this, equals this. You've just got to work it out and react before the sum is complete, and they... you know... die..."

Ren's current equation, on the subject of his brother

Ren's iconic eyes almost flipped the entire world into a state of slow-motion. Like thick sludge had entranced everything in an instant. Like a German-Shephard controlled by a blue entity had ordered the world to freeze in place.

Hmm, oh shit... yep, Glassy eyes... fuck... I can hear his heart beating from here. Fast, strong... like a hummingbird. Like a horny hummingbird, more like.
Why is he panicking? Did I do something...?

Ren felt his own heart skip a beat in brotherly guilt, but he quickly shook his head to kill the thought as quickly as it had begun.

No... his panic is internal - his eyes are all over the place, plus he was being skittish before...

Alright... brain, don't fucking fail me now... don't you dare...

Sweating + Dizziness + Accelerated heart beat = Panic attack

= ... possibility of fainting...

"SHIT!" Ren yelled as all the pieces clicked together in his head. He practically heaved himself out of his lawn-chair and dove stomach-up behind Adrian. His head slammed against a rock sticking out of the dirt and his skinny body followed suite. But as the sheepdog's body fell backwards, the chair stuck to his back as the world spun up from under him... falling... he fell right into Ren's arms.