Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Angela’s POV

I woke up, not sure what time it was.  I looked to my side to see Amanda but she wasn’t there.  I sat up and she was at the desk with her new doll, drawing.  I didn’t move, I just sat there looking at her.  She looked so peaceful, not afraid and I had never seen her like that before.

‘Hi honey.’ I said to her.

She turned quickly and smiled at me.  ‘Hi.’ She said.

‘What are you drawing?’ I asked her.

‘My baby.’ She answered.

I smiled, ‘Can I see?’ I asked her and she nodded her head.

She brought her drawing onto the bed and gave it to me.  It was a bit hard to see, only 4 years old, but she was still pretty good.

‘It’s beautiful.’ I told her and she smiled.

I needed to remind myself to thank Derrick for putting the desk, I knew Amanda would use it a lot and so would I.

‘How did you sleep?’ I asked her, being curious but worried at the same time.

‘I woke up, but saw you and went back to sleep.’ She said.

‘That’s great honey.  I’m glad.  We’re good…safe here.’ I told her.

‘The man, what’s his name again?’ she asked.

‘Derrick.’

‘I heard you say he’s my…’ she started but stopped.

‘Yeah baby, he’s your dad.’ I said to her.

‘Is he…is…will he be…mean?’ she asked.

‘No.  He’s a really good man.  He wouldn’t hurt you…ever.’ I said to her.

‘And you?’ she asked.

‘No, he won’t hurt me.’ I answered her.

‘Why do you say you hate him?’ she asked.

I now remembered I had told Derrick I hated him in front of her.  I was such a fool, I should have never said that in front of her.  I knew whenever I was angry, sometimes, most times, my mouth would speak faster than I could think.  Also, for some reason I felt like my mother was in front of me.  Not in a bad way, my girl was very curious, if she didn’t understand, she asked a lot of questions.  Never in front of other people, only if we were alone.

‘I’m sorry baby, I should have never said that, but it’s complicated.’ I said, not knowing how to answer that one.  I couldn’t tell her the whole story, she was just 4, and it would just confuse her even more.