15. 'the first date'

Tom sat in his rent-a-car outside Cash's apartment building, his hands still clutching the steering wheel to the point where is knuckles had gone a shade of pure white.

You can do this, man. He thought to himself. Look, stupid - the most beautiful girl you've ever seen is up in that building waiting for you to grow some balls and date her! So date her!

A hand waving in front of his face took him away from his thoughts, as the building concierge stood to the side of him with a knowing smile.

"You picking up a date, pal?" The older man asked, tipping his hat to him and gesturing towards the bunch of flowers that laid on the passenger seat.

Tom gulped and nodded, unbuckling his seatbelt and making his way out of the car, "I'm here to pick up Cash Downey, sir?"

The concierge smiled, "so you must be young Tom, huh?"

Tom looked confused, had she told her concierge about me? Oh my god I must look pathetic.

"Yes, sir. That's me," he said, putting his hand out which the older gentleman accepted.

"Please," he spoke, "call me Bert. The way Miss Downey speaks about you, I think we might be seeing each other again,"

Tom smiled the first genuine smile he'd managed to muster up all morning, and sighed with relief, "lovely to meet you, Bert."

The older man nodded his hat again, and led Tom into the building where security lined the modern lobby.

"For Miss Downey, you need to go to the sixth floor and find apartment 32," he said, directing him to the elevator.

Tom felt relieved he'd first met Bert and not the scary lady that perched herself at the front desk, and took his directions.

"Thanks, mate. I look okay?" He asked, gesturing down to himself and the flowers he held in his right hand.

The older man chuckled, "that other punk she dated, he's got nothing on you pal."

Tom smiled, as the elevator doors shut behind him. After clicking the button for the sixth floor, he let out the breath he'd been holding and his shoulders began to relax.

He looked into the elevator mirror, smoothing down his t-shirt and checking he had everything - phone, check. Wallet, check. Keys, check. Flowers, check. He was ready.

Once the elevator stopped on the sixth floor, he found it easy to make his way to Cash's apartment - number 32.

Standing himself outside her door, he took a final breath. Snap out of it, bro. Like he said, you look great! He knocked on her door twice, and heard the muted voices of the three girls inside the apartment.

The door rushed open, and he saw Liz approach from behind the door, a shit-eating grin covering her cheeks.

"Woah," she said, raising her eyebrows and gesturing to the flowers, "you went there."

Tom looked down at the bouquet of lilies he'd picked up from a florist on the way, now slightly unsure on whether he'd gone too overboard or not.

"You do know lilies represent death, right?" She jested, making the blush run its way up Tom's neck.

"I didn't-" before he could finish Casey appeared from behind her friend, stepping next to her.

"She's messing with you," she informed him, "come on in, you look great!"

Tom blushed once again, as Casey ushered him into the apartment. Cash's apartment was huge, if he was being completely honest. It was modern and clean, but the framed AC/DC poster in the entryway just gave it the perfect touch. She was definitely a Downey, he thought.