Chapter 3

She slumped against her window and watched all the servants walk around working.  Pulling her knees to her chest she sat back and stared out towards the water of the river near the keep.  Her thoughts went quickly to Lord Gavin. With a sigh she shook her head angry with herself that she would think of him.

Supper came by in a flash. She sat motionless beside her father across from Edwards sulking stare. She barley ate. Her confusing feelings put her in such a predicament.  The quick flutter in her chest caught her by surprise when she saw him smile.

Brienna slowly walked up to her chamber after her supper, leaving everyone in the greathall. Throwing on her chemise she walked over to the window again. The moonit night was inviting.  Looking at her bed, she knew she was not going to sleep. She was going to go for a stroll to clear her head.  She grabbed her cloak and walked out slowly to the corridor, descended the stairs towards the greathall into the courtyard.  Quietly she followed a horse and carriage slipping past the guards at the gate.

She continued a slow walk in the night following the path that ran along the  river. The moonlight danced on the water it was beautiful. She sat down and listened to the peaceful sound of the water moving past her. Inching closer she took off her slippers to wet her feet. 

She sat peacefully gazing at the sky. The slow wind on the warm night broke her spell realizing that if they noticed her missing the whole keep would be searching for her.  She looked towards the other side of the river bank in the moonlight and noticed  a man laying there.

Slowly standing, her curiosity took the best of her leading her to walk towards him.

As she walked closer the more she tried to ignore the warning in the back of her head not to get too close.

But like a strong force pulling at her feet she continued. Quietly she tiptoed near to him and knelt next to him. A heart shattering realization of the man laying before her was Gavin. He was breathtaking, she breathed.

He slept soundly with his arms beneath his head.  She was in a trance staring at his face lit by the moonlight.  He did not move. Quivering hands reached gently to his chest.

With a blink of an eye she was quickly grabbed and slammed to the ground on her back with him above her and a gleaming dagger at her throat. The distance between them was close and the shattering blow to the floor took her breath that she could not scream. But managed a breathless plea for her life.

*****

Gavin's  hands went to the hilt of his dagger as soft footfalls came closer. The small figure that loomed over him was a fool for thinking to sneak up on him. The moment the hands of the intruder reached for him in a quick move he grabbed his dagger and rolled on top of him.

Slamming him to the ground, he put the dagger quickly to his throat. The faint voice of a child quickly begged not to be killed. It was not only a child but a girl. Her hair fell free from her hood in a mass of dark waves. Gavin stared at her. How could he have mistaken this fragile girl for a man.

Angrily he pushed off of her. Pulling her to her feet. Noticing the moonlight shinning brightly on her face. She stood looking at him in fright. He breathed in shock.

“Brienna?”

Her delicate features in the dim light hid her frightened stare.

“Child, what are you doing out in the dead of the night alone?” He held her at arms length.

“I ..I..could not sleep," She said softly.

The stutter of her voice turned defiant.  “So I decided to take a walk,"