Chapter 15: What should I do?

Kion reached his destination, the Tree of Life. When he walked from the mountain pass to the tree, he was spotted by his friends, who were on patrol. Bunga ran towards him. "Hey Kion, how was Kovu's funeral?" Kion did not answer that question. He ignored Bunga and kept on walking. Fuli was the first to notice that Rani was not with Kion. "Where is Rani, Kion?" she asked. "She will be here soon." He answered in an annoyed tone. "Why is she not with you?" Fuli continued asking. "That is none of your business. Just leave me alone." Kion said. He ran away. Bunga wanted to run after Kion, but he was stopped by Beshte. "I don't think it is a good idea to go after him now, Little B."

Kion was alone as he walked into a cave. He started singing.

          *Play the song*

Why, why does this happen to me?

Why can't I just be me?

Why did this end up so wrong?

Now what, what should I do?

And where, where do I run to?

Now everything seems so lost.

Deep down maybe I knew,

It was way too good to be true.

I'll become the worst I can be,

And there is nothing to stop me.

          *Pause the song*

Without Kion noticing, Rani walked into the cave. "Kion, I think we need to talk." she said. Kion turned towards Rani. "I wanted to tell you something too." Kion said. They both stayed silent for a few seconds. "I'm leaving" Kion continued. Rani looked at him, stunned from what she just heard. "Please, don't leave me Kion." She started crying. "I'm sorry Rani, but I have to. It is not safe to stay here. The day when I first arrived at the Tree of Life you said that my roar could do a lot of damage here, that it was not safe to have me around here, and you were right. I'm dangerous." "You are not dangerous. You have proved that you are a good lion, Kion. You have helped the Tree of Life really well." "That was before my scar started acting up again." "I know, but that was you, and I'm still talking to you, and you will always be you. You just have to believe you can do it... That you can control yourself. I believe you can do that." "You were there when I was fighting Makucha too, you have also seen the damage the roar did to the whole area." "But do you need the roar?" "No I don't really need the roar, but when my scar hurts I can't think straight, and it will only get worse as time goes by." Kion wanted to walk out of the cave, but he was stopped by Rani. "Kion, could you please stay. We can all help you to not lose control. Do it for me. And if you won't do it for me, do it for the little one at least." Kion looked Rani in the eyes. "I'll try it." Rani was happy to hear Kion saying that. She nuzzled him for a few seconds. After that she walked away. Kion stayed a little longer. He continued singing.

          *Continue playing the song*

Maybe it isn't over for me.

You can be the one to save me.

I just need to have a little faith,

and some good support from my mate.

It'll be alright, with you by my side.

It'll be alright, as long as you will save my hide.

No need to worry about losing control

A little help will solve it all.

It'll be alright.

With you by my side.

Yes. It'll be alright.

          *End of the song*

Rani walked out of the cave, where Bunga was waiting. "Do you know what is wrong with Kion?" he asked. "The healing of his scar has failed." Rani answered while she started sobbing. Rani walked away, and Bunga did not follow her.

The sun was setting on the Tree of Life, and Kion was still alone, but now in a big open field

The sun was setting on the Tree of Life, and Kion was still alone, but now in a big open field. "Grandfather Mufasa?" "Yes Kion, I am here." "I don't know what to do. My scar can't be healed, and I think I should leave to keep everyone safe, but Rani wants me to stay. She thinks that with enough help I won't have much trouble with my scar. I just don't know what's the right choice." Kion told his grandfather's spirit. "If Rani is certain that everything will be alright if you stay, you should trust her." "I know that, but I couldn't even keep myself under control last time I had problems with my behaviour because of my scar. When it gets worse I won't accept help. That is why I think it would be better for me to leave, but Rani is expecting a cub, if not cubs, and he, she or they need a father." "I think that you should follow your heart and do what you think is the best decision. Just take some time to think of the pros and cons of staying, and then decide what is best." Mufasa advised. Kion thanked his grandfather, after which he disappeared. Kion walked towards the Tree of Life.

It was in the middle of the night. Kion couldn't sleep, and he didn't want to. Once he thought Rani was asleep he rose from his paws and started walking towards the exit of the Tree of Life. Once he reached the mountain pass he saw that the Night Pride was there. "I totally forgot about the Night Pride." Kion whispered to himself. He hid himself from them and started thinking on a way to get past them, when all of the sudden a paw tapped him from the side. "Don't tell me you're trying to do what I think you're trying to do." A voice said to him.