Chapter 30: Urn

Media: https://pin.it/1ybVbiZ
What happened to the Hong family? 
👇
---

Back at the capital...

When the third watch of the night switched, people started to notice the fire inside the Hong fu.

But before the city guards could forcefully enter, men on horseback arrived.

One of the riders quickly jumped down and showed a golden medallion. Seeing this, coupled with the mask on the man's face, the city guards made way.

The masked people entered unceremoniously.

"Search fast." The leader hid his anxiety behind the stern voice and they scattered. He personally flew to the southern courtyard.

Seeing the path to it ablaze, his heart dropped.

Ignoring the urge to curse, he instructed a portion of the men to find signs of life first.

They employed their martial arts to scour the burning perimeters but only two corpses were found. One was badly burned but still intact. A thin piece of metal was recovered from its chest.

The second one was worse. Aside from being charred almost to ashes, the body was cut in half. Its face was unrecognizable.

"Retreat!" The leader didn't mind the burning stench and commanded the men to carry these corpses away.

It was apparent that they've seen more disturbing things.

Then, the leader traced his steps back to the gate and looked at the captain of the city guards.

"Extinguish the fire," was his order.

The captain sweated. It wasn't like they could stop it immediately. But this overlord shouldn't be offended as he held a medallion from the Emperor himself. So he saluted before following orders.

The whole district soon became busy as reinforcements were needed to stop the fire from spreading.

All the while, the leader of the masked men watched with trembling hands.

The city guards attempted to control the fire. The masked leader was there to make sure they wouldn't wander anywhere else aside from the southern courtyard.

The masked people also came and went, reporting what they found from other areas of the small estate.

Part of Mao Zhu's burden was lifted when he learned that the Hong family was unharmed and was now being tended to.

Yes, the leader of the mysterious group was none other than the 'harmless' Mao Zhu.

Hong Shu Cao, Yi Bing, and Hong Ting were found unconscious inside the main courtyard. There were three corpses discovered outside the hall.

The Emperor ordered him to take care of the Hong family. He didn't know the reason for this but the Emperor seemed to be protecting the Hong family so he had no qualms doing what was ordered.

Ever since he allied with the Emperor, he was given the golden medallion so he could have the freedom to act in times of crisis. However, all his movements must be in accordance with His Majesty's will.

Even now, he could only go here after getting permission from the Emperor.

Mao Zhu couldn't tell whether to lament over his choice. After all, Hong Chun was nowhere to be found and she was probably in danger.

All because of the decree that he shouldn't go out earlier. He knew who the Crimson Trail was after but his Majesty forbade him to intervene. He grew suspicious when the order had been lifted on the hour of yin.