23

Len requested one thing while in the basement, a bottle of water which I gave to him before I left. I mixed an assortment of random pills I found in the store into it. I didn't know what I mixed but I needed him out cold for a couple of hours extra so I could do what I had to do. It was early morning, the sun was barely up so I opened the cage. He was fast asleep, I made sure of that, he'd taken his shoes off himself so his feet were the first thing I saw, a charming sight. I had a knife in my hand, I needed ransom, something I could take that he'd value but something that wasn't noticeable to those he met in public.

My intention was never to kill him, Kelsey. It was to make him feel what you felt that night in the pizzeria, I wanted him to be left alone with his mind and I wanted him to see it from your perspective. I think I achieved that, he began making you out to be a heinous person, calling you every name under the sun but over time we both discovered that Max was the real villian in the story. This was what I wanted, I didn't need him anymore but he couldn't just go free. I had connections, there was so many people he could tell. I knew what I had to do, I cut off his big toe and put in a plastic bag. Hear me out Kelsey, you'd think I was a horrible person but a person can survive without a toe, he'd just have to do what I wanted quickly. I'd give it back, he'd go to a hospital and everyone's lives could be a whole lot better.

He woke up an hour later, he was screaming in pain but was confused until he looked at his foot. "What the fuck" he shouted, he didn't even try to sound tough, his voice was laced with fear. "I'm not the bad guy here Len, I'm letting you go" I said with my arms folded as he nodded, his breaths were hitched, this man was terrified, he was like putty in my hands and oddly enough I enjoyed the power I had over him. Usually, I wasn't like this, I didn't crave to be in control of everyone or maybe I did, this just isn't how I imagined it to be.

"Here's whats about to happen. I'm going to open this door and you'll go straight to Kelsey and tell her you made a mistake. It wasn't actually Max who's in debt, you got it all confused and her name is clear. Oh and you'll take back that threat on taking Cody" I began as he sighed but nodded, he was in agreement. "Then you'll come back here, I'll give you your toe and you'll go away. For good" I kept going, this was all that needed to be done. He instantly shook his head. "I-I can't do that. My whole life is here" he began as I shrugged. "That's not good enough" I said about to walk back up the stairs but he called me back quickly. "A-alright. Alright fine" he shouted, I was satisfied. He bandaged up his foot, put on the clothes he left all over the floor and left to find you. He wouldn't tell anyone not when I had a part of his body and a shit tonne of information.

An hour had passed, I was running the store for most of the morning and went back downstairs for my break. I had to get rid of the blood on the floor. I couldn't believe I pulled it off. There was a human toe on my desk and it belonged to one of your good friends. Your top lawyer, drug dealing friend, the king of persuasion. I could see why he was so high up in his profession but it didn't work on me. I managed to turn all of this around, I was standing there smiling, happy drinking coffee until the door opened and the sound of heels came stomping down the stairs. Oh no. Surely not. You were supposed to be working at the office today. No. Please no.

"Guess what" you squealed as you jumped into my arms. "I met Len for coffee. I don't owe him anything. He had Max confused with somebody else. Sounds like bullshit but still. Cody isn't going anywhere. Isn't this the best news ever" you shouted with joy as you cupped my face before kissing me. Excitement was all I could hear in your voice.

In your eyes, this was a miracle. In my eyes, this was a lot of hard work. I couldn't believe it, this was the end of life as I knew it. If you turned left, you'd see a human toe and if you turned around, you'd see a puddle of blood. You were smiling a big smile. I had to move to toe. I put you down, grabbed it and put it in my pocket. It was supposed to be frozen but right now, you were more important, you couldn't find out about all of this. Not now. You'd only understand to a certain extent. You'd be grateful but then the truth would slowly unravel and it would ruin us. I couldn't have that, for the first time, in a long time. I was happy.

I was distracted, lost, my mind was working quickly, I didn't even see you turn around. "Joe ?" you questioned like I had done something terrible. I had but I had reason to, I did plenty of terrible things but I had reason to all of those times, you'd understand. "Is this one of those boxes to preserve books ? I've read about those. That's adorable you have a little bed to red on and is that red wine I see on the floor ? I'm offended I've known you for so long and haven't gotten an invite" you said with your hands on your hips as I took a breath of relief. "It's almost impossible to get out, it stains so bad. Lucky for you, you're dating someone who'd marry red wine if it was a person" you said through a nod as I instantly shook my head, you weren't going to be involved in this. "You don't have to" I said quickly but you shook your head right back at me. "No seriously, I'm a pro at this. You should've seen the state my white pantsuit got into and I'm on my break. I insist" you said and you got to work like a fairy godmother. Within seconds you had a potion mixed and you got to work. I had to stop you.

You were on your hands and knees cleaning Len's blood thinking it was wine and it made so physically sick that you were living in total oblivion. It was a small pool of blood but oh my god, I've never been so afraid. To make everything 1,000 times worse, a pair of heavy footsteps came down the stairs. "I did it. Alright ? Can I just-" he began shouting until he got to the end of the stairs. "KJ" he said through a nervous laugh as you shook your head. You hated being called that yet everyone seemed to. "What are you doing here" you questioned and for a split second, I could see all of the gears working in your brain. "Oh I get it" you said through a nod as your face went dead serious and you dropped the cloth. "You do ?" I questioned as you kept nodding.

"The gym made you two friends, you knew Max would hate it Len so you've been meeting here. You've been drinking red wine like toe suburban moms and gossiping, is that right ?" you said as I fake laughed, he looked like he was about to say something but you laughed. "I was never here" you said while waving your hands mysteriously before walking up the stairs. I couldn't believe it.

"I could've revealed all there. Is Cabo fucking far enough for you ? I'm joining Max, I've been in contact. Have a great fucking life" he spat before snatching the small bag out of my pocket. He was smart, he wouldn't tell anyone, I now had something much bigger on him. He was one of the top lawyers but also a drug dealer, he was rumored to be raking in money but he just admitted he was broke and on the brink of homeless. There was nothing he could do to me, not if he didn't want all of that to be leaked. That was when Max's phone got a voice message from him.

"Max, man. I'm in a bit of trouble here, I need to get out. Fast. Can I stay with you too ? Uh and I don't mean to ask but I'm strapped for cash, you wouldn't book a plane ticket for me, would you ?" he asked, he was desperate but I just typed three words. Cant sorry man. Len would have to deal with this himself.