10. The Hogs and The Meade

THE BREAK is much needed. My family and I go down south so I could have some relief from the cold, English winters, and we stay at my grandparents house. I send Remus his Christmas gift, and upon window shopping with my little sister, I spot a leather jacket that I know Sirius would look good in. Against my better judgement, I purchase it on impulse and lug it back to Hogwarts because I don't have an address to send it to.

I regret it as soon as I give it to him, but in spite of my apprehension, I'm relieved when I see Sirius wearing it on the first Hogsmeade trip of the new year. He sends me a wave through the window of the Three Broomsticks before heading on with Peter and Susanne, I smile foolishly.

"He's so hot in that jacket." Debbie says from the other side of the table, watching him as he walks on and I wipe the look off my face.

I take a sip from my gillywater and Jane speaks.

"Good choice, Des." Her words are innocent and sincere, but Debbie flashes me a look, taking her eyes away from the window.

"You got him that jacket?" She emphasizes her words to convey that she's suspicious.

"Christmas." I dismiss, and mumble with the glass to my lips, "it's nothing, really."

She raises an eyebrow, and I take a long sip of my drink until she moves on.

"Told him I was sorry 'bout the ball, you know?" She continues. "Had something going on, he said it's chill."

I nod my head at her again, unaware that she had something going on because she never told me. If anything, I thought her aversion to Sirius that night meant it would be the end of her pursuit. Now, I'm not so sure.

"Where's Remus and Potter?" Jane asks.

"Hospital Wing and detention." I steal a bite of her cake.

"Is he okay?"

I nod. James took the fall for a prank the boys pulled on some Slytherin boy they don't like, and Remus is recovering after the full moon. I saw him this morning, but he insisted I go to Hogsmeade today and that he would see me after dinner anyway.

"Just ill." I assure her and Debbie goes back to talking.

"Speaking of," she says, not mentioning Remus' name, "when's the next time you're gonna see him?"

"Er, I'm going to see him later today, in the Hospital Wing." I give her a confused look.

"Will the others be there?" She asks and I get the hint that she's talking about Sirius. Unless she just really wants Peter there, but I doubt that.

"I'm not sure." I lie and swirl my drink to avoid eye contact, I know they're going to be there. Then I feel bad for lying, so I add, "most likely."

"Right on, I'm coming." She decides.

"You don't like Remus." Jane accuses, having more confidence than me to point it out.

"No, but I like Black." She smirks and Jane is about to say something else when - speak of the devil - Sirius walks up to our table.

"Hey, girls," he smiles, shaking the snow out of his hair with his hand, and I see Peter and Susanne are no longer with him. "Mind if I steal Des for a trip to Honeydukes?"

"We were just about to go there." Debbie lies, standing up to place a hand on his arm. "We'll go with you."

"Cool." He says, helping Jane out of her chair before me, but I wave off his outstretched hand.

My gillywater is only half finished, so I take a large gulp and then head out with the others. Debbie is talking to Sirius, linking arms with him and I hate the jealous feeling I get in my stomach. Nevertheless, I walk with Jane and follow them in to Honeydukes.