Thirty Seven

'Snape and Slughorn'

"Don't worry," Ron said through a mouthful of jelly, "he'll be here in a minute

"Don't worry," Ron said through a mouthful of jelly, "he'll be here in a minute."

Hermione and Lori shared a look across the table, before the younger prefect hit him across the shoulder with her book, each hit punctuated a word, "Will you stop eating? Your best friend is missing!"

Ginny and Lori would have laughed if it wasn't for the severity of the situation.

"Oi." Ron defended, "Turn around, you lunatic."

The three siblings, Katie and Hermione turned, to watch Harry stumble up the aisle with Luna beside him, both now in their robes.

"He's covered in blood again." Ginny muttered, "Why is it he's always covered in blood?"

"Looks like it's his own this time?"

Harry gently slid into the empty spot between Katie and Neville, Hermione whispering waspishly at him across the table, "Where have you been? What happened to your face?"

"Later." Harry said, "What've I missed?"

Ron snickered, "Sorting Hat urged us all to be brave and strong in these troubled times. Easy for it to say, huh? It's a hat, isn't it?"

Lori shot him a look, her tone unwavering, "Well done for noticing, Ronald."

As Dumbledore took his place behind the lectern, the Great Hall lapsed into silence, "The very best of evenings to you all. First off, let me introduce the newest member of our staff, Horace Slughorn."

Polite applause echoed over the tables as he rose from beside Snape and waved his hand.

"Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say has agreed to resume his old post as Potions Master. Meanwhile, the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts will be taken by Professor Snape."

Only the Slytherins clapped, murmurs and chattering filling the room with his name.

"Now, as you know, each and every one of you was searched upon your arrival here tonight. And you have the right to know why. Once, there was a young man, who, like you, sat in this very hall, walked this castle's corridors, slept under its roof. He seemed to all the world a student like any other. His name? Tom Riddle."

Katie and Lori looked at each other nervously as he continued, "Today, of course, he's known all over the world by another name. Which is why, as I stand looking out upon you all tonight, I'm reminded of a sobering fact."

Lori looked uneasily at the three Aurors who were stationed by the door.

"Every day, every hour, this very minute perhaps, dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle's walls. But in the end, their greatest weapon is you. Just something to think about. Now, off to bed. Pip-pip."