~Forty Two~

~Jade~

I stared at Zee.

She stared back.

I stared at her.

Zee stared back.

Then her face dissolved into a huge smile as she started to walk towards me.

'Hey baby. I've missed you'

And she hugged me. I allowed her to but I did not hug her back, my hands laying limply at my sides. She moved back, still smiling.

'Look at you. Did you miss me that much?'

I stared at her, still not talking. I did not trust myself to talk. I did not what to say, what to think. I could only stare at her. I cleared my throat.

'What are you doing here?'

She looked startled at first, then she shrugged.

'Come on Jade, it's my home.'

'Of course, it's the home you left without a backward glance.'

She said nothing for a while as she just smiled.

'I get that you're angry. I understand that.'

I shook my head.

'No, you don't. The only thing that is understood here is that you're self centered and self conceited. It's hard to believe that you're my sister.'

She moved back to steps and then she smiled again.

'I was expecting you to shout and hug me when you see me. Seems like I overhype....'

'Shout and hug you when I see you? Hmm? God! Zainab! You left me without a backward glance. You left home without a goodbye and you have the nerve to tell me that you expected me to hug you? There are levels to this, Zee. I never expected it from you.'

Her expression changed and she turned back, gripping her table mirror. I knew this was her getting angry.

Getting angry? The only person who has the right to get angry here is no one but me. She turned back with a tight smile on her face.

'Jade, you don't understand. There is....'

'Then make me understand.'

I said, interrupting her. I could feel my anger evaporating. My voice shook as I spoke.

'Make me understand. Do you know how I felt that day when I returned home and you were gone? Do you know how I felt sitting right there in my room with my heart hammering in my chest, with my chest constricted, with my breaths uneven. I had a panic attack and I couldn't breath, couldn't do anything. I thought I was going to die. I nearly died. And you have the nerve to stand there and tell me that I don't understand, no..... '

'Then you should have asked!'

She snapped and I moved back at the intensity of her voice. She was angry.

'You could have asked for the reason why I left home but no you did not, you just assumed the worst, you just assumed that I left because I wanted to. You could have asked, a single message, a single phone call and we wouldn't be here but no, you simply assumed the worst of me. You have no right to be angry, baby sis or..... '

She said the last part slowly.

'.....is it step sister?'

She was looking at me, gaze unwavering. I stared back.