Chapter 4: Proactive interference

"What's the matter, Colby? Are you feeling okay?" Asked Sophie.

It was good to see her. Sophie always had a way of making time slow down for a second, the world seem a little less big. The things that weighed heavily upon Colby's shoulders didn't feel so pressing when Sophie was around. Perhaps it was due to the fact that they had known each other since they were both in diapers, but, in Colby's eyes, she brought a reliable source of comfort with her.

"Why are you here?" He asked.

"The nurse is off sick today, so the school asked me to cover for her since I'm first aid trained. It's not so bad. I'm getting extra credit for it."

"How much more extra credit do you need? You're in every club I can think of."

She fluffed up some pillows for him and brought over a small cup of water. "My dad says it's good to stay busy."

"Don't push yourself too much." He sat on the bed letting his body relax for the first time today. The bed was covered in thick fluffy blankets. No one knew how often they were cleaned  —some said they weren't—  but right now he couldn't care less. "I feel so hot."

"You feel hot after spending time with Ezra? Okay." She giggled to herself as she perched on the edge of the bed. Gently, she rested the back of her hand on Colby's forehead.

"What do you mean? He's a dick."

"He brought you all the way here and you still think that? Maybe you should give him the benefit of the doubt on this one."

"What the fuck are you on? Since when did you get a crush on Ezra."

"Crush!" Her cheeks were burning red. She kept twisting a strand of her hair around her finger. "I mean, it's not that I like him- or maybe I do- I don't really know."

"Well, do you like him or not?" Please say not.

"I don't know. Genuinely, I don't know, it's confusing. We talk to each sometimes, in a civil and polite way, not... romantically. Or at least I didn't think it was romantic." She turned away from Colby. "My friends think I flirt with him."

"Which friends?"

"You know, Netra, Megan, Trisha... Joanna."

"Joanna! Joanna thinks you're flirting with him too? Well, she'd know plenty about that, wouldn't she."

Sophie didn't reply.

"Do you like him?"

"My friends say I do. I don't know. I've never really had a crush on a guy before. I don't know what's it's supposed to feel like. I'm sorry, Colby. I don't think I am flirting with him."

It didn't make sense. It was against all that was holy and right in this world. Sophie was so nice and sweet and good and Ezra was everything but. Ezra was so Ezra, and that wasn't a good thing. Just the idea of it made Colby's stomach knot.

He could picture it. The two of them walking down the hall together holding hands. Sophie would be blushing like she is now and Ezra would smile at her lovingly. They would go on cute dates and Ezra would buy her gifts. They would have sex and Ezra would be gentle and nice to her. He would love her.