14 | Heartbreak

When Jannet and I strolled inside college, everyone were staring at us

When Jannet and I strolled inside college, everyone were staring at us. It’s actually normal for girls to stare at me but today boys were also staring.

I reached the classroom, this was one amongst three classes I share with Harriet. She as usual was sitting at front peering at her book. When I and Jannet entered she heaved her head and looked at us for a second and then her gaze dropped back on book.

Jannet asked me to sit with her as her cousins were on leave today. I just nodded and sat next to her.

After some time Alex walked inside and he gave me 'what – is – wrong – with -you' look.
Shaking his head he made his way towards Harriet and took a seat next to her.

He told her something for which she burst into laughter with her hand covering her lips. Even her laugh is innocent just like her.

I clench my jaw peering at them. He is my best friend and she is my WIFE, the thing which irks me is they seem quite close and comfortable while I and Harriet haven’t even passed the stage of being comfortable with each other forget about being close.

I felt a hand placed on mine. I look down to see it was Jannet’s hand. I don’t like when someone touches me without my permission. I closed my eyes and jerked my hand away from her.

❃❃

After the class ended Jannet and I went to various colleges to promote events of our college fest.
I didn’t want to make Harriet uncomfortable by picking her cause we recently married and I know she needs some time and space to get comfortable around me and hence I had to choose Jannet.
It wasn’t like I was enjoying Jannet’s company but at least she wasn’t speaking much and I like people who don’t speak much.

Somehow the day went smooth, we covered most of the colleges by 3 and came back to college.
While we were walking back to class, a group of Jannet friends came rushing.

“Are you both finally dating?!” one asked teasing Jannet.

“Oh you both look so adorable.” Another said giggling.

Seriously?

“When are you going to make it official.”

What’s wrong with these girls? Who the hell said we are dating?

I look away from them uninterested. Jannet cleared her throat and replied, “We have to report to principal so we will talk later.”

°°°

Albeit I was sitting in class, my mind was preoccupied with the thoughts of Zayden and Jannet

I was edgy the whole while. Somehow the class came to an end and to be honest I have no idea about the topic lecturer spoke today.

With my head lowered I was walking towards back gate when my phone dinged with a new message.

ZAYDENAlex will drop you today. I will be bringing Jannet home.

Wow! He is bringing her home again…
Entire ride I kept peering out and Alex also kept quiet.

After reaching home, Alex plopped on couch turning on tv while I made my way towards room and freshened up.

My phone chimed with another message.
This time message was from William.

He sent me a picture in which Jannet and Zayden were drinking coffee at cafeteria. She as usual was grinning while he was just looking at her.

If I wasn’t his wife even I would’ve said they look perfect together but it’s true to life that I can’t see my husband with her.

After Jannet has entered our life, my life has become worse than before. What scares me more is the concept of staying with my aunt again if Zayden leaves me. I shake my head to dribble off such thoughts. I need to get a job and start saving money cause I’m having a feeling that soon Jannet will take away Zayden from me.

I felt like crying, I want to lighten this feeling by speaking with someone but I have no one to speak with.
My phone buzzed again.

William – Harriet at least now open your eyes, she will take him away and you will be left alone again.

Me – why do you care William?! You always wanted to see me crying right? Aren’t you happy after seeing me like this.

William – Stop being childish okay. Concentrate on your married life and your husband. I can clearly see that Zayden is interested in Jannet…

I didn’t reply anything to him.
Even I know he is interested in her.
Why can’t he like me? Am I so bad?

My eyes brimmed with tears and started rolling down my cheeks.
Alex shook my shoulder, “Harriet what’s wrong. Why are you crying?” he asked with his eyes narrowed.

“Nothing.” I replied wiping tears from back of my hand.

“You can tell me if you've any problem…” he asked feebly while holding my hand in his.

I just peered at me without giving response. Alex eyes clearly exhibited that he was genuinely concerned about me.

Why can’t Zayden be like Alex?
Why can’t he treat me with tenderness.

“Am I so bad Alex?” I muttered sobbing.

Alex brows drew together, “What? Who told you all this nonsense Harriet?”
His eyes suddenly trailed down and landed on my phone which had Zayden and Jannet picture.

He gulped and looked at me, “I’m sorry Harriet. I don’t know what’s wrong with Zayden. Even I’m shocked with things he is doing lately.” He said moving a strand of hair away from my face.

“ Why do everyone disregard my feelings. Why can’t they see my pain. First it was my aunt and William, I was relieved after leaving their house but now Zayden has taken their place. Why only me? Why…” I was sobbing the entire time with hot tears rolling down my cheeks.

Alex pulled my head to rest on his chest when the main door suddenly opened!!!

❤..

Sometimes it’s better to be alone nobody can hurt you..! 💜