09. The Lesson

We stared at each other for mere seconds, yet it felt as if each passing moment lived on for ages

We stared at each other for mere seconds, yet it felt as if each passing moment lived on for ages. My mind had been a flurry of different worries and doubts, but his demanding aura was too consuming to leave room for those racing thoughts. All I could focus on was him.

"Put your pointe shoes on," he instructed, glancing down at my feet briefly.

I nodded and placed my bag on the floor, digging through it to find my shoes. As I bent over and began taking my flats off, I watched Hoseok from the corner of my vision.

He walked over to the stereo and connected his phone, messing with a few of the buttons on the device. I frowned upon seeing the black leather gloves that covered his hands, wondering why he felt the need to keep them covered when he hadn't before. He began scrolling through songs, and soon a beautifully chilling piano piece swept over us.

Once my shoes were on, I righted myself and stood by the barre, waiting for him to finish adjusting the volume.

"Will you change your shoes too?" I asked as I took in the white Vans he wore. His long legs were covered by tight black jeans, and an oversized, long-sleeved grey shirt hung over his torso.

He let out a chuckle. "No. I'm not dancing, you are."

"But don't you have to show me what you want me to do?"

"Are you not skilled enough to know the moves by name?" He turned to face me and quirked a critical eyebrow. His eyes held anticipation in them while he awaited my reaction.

Frustration came bursting forth, threatening to show on my face, but I buried it away. I knew he was only trying to get a rise out of me and I refused to satiate that desire of his. I'd been told by Jimin plenty of times that my reactions were entertaining and made it hard for people not to tease me. It was unclear if that was the case with Hoseok or if there was something more to his motive, but either way, I was set on remaining unaffected by his jabs.

So, lifting my chin and sending him a faint smile, I replied, "You're right. I'll manage just fine."

Not even his mask could veil the surprise that shot through his eyes. Though it was only detectable for a second, I felt satisfied knowing that I'd done something to finally catch him off guard. The walls in which he isolated himself were towering and solid, but I'd already made the slightest dent in them - insignificant, sure, but at least I'd proven it possible.

"Good," he spoke after swiftly ridding any sign of surprise from his gaze. "I'll have you run through some basics so I can see more of your technique. Then we'll start the choreography."

I eyed him carefully. "You already have a choreography figured out?

A faint breath of amusement came from beneath his mask. "I have far more than just one figured out."

Just how many dance routines did he have already mapped out in his head?

"How-"

"Enough questions. Let's just get started," he ordered before walking towards the back wall, stopping and leaning against the barre. He crossed his arms and angled his chin up, his orbs latching onto mine.