Chapter 4

It was a peaceful night and all were retiring.  The cool autumn night called for the hearth to be lit setting off a warm glow in the study.  Hazel eyes concentrated on the pieces of the chess board then at her opponent.  Very determined to win this round delicate long fingers reached for a piece dubiously then another.

The smirk of her opponent looking at her made her change her mind. This went on for what seemed an eternity. In a hurrah when she finally defeated him.

“Checkmate” she breathed in relief giggling.

An applaud from her father came after. “I do say you have won me again.” He laughed.

With so much excitement her eyes lit up. Clapping she begged for another round.

“Papa again, Please.” She began resetting the board.

Stretching and yawning he was tired. His aching body needed rest and a long nights sleep. Looking at Brienna, he  chuckled at  her excitement.

“No my child, I am dreadfully tired and it is time for bed," Pouty eyes met his now hooded sleepy eyes.

On that note she smiled and walked over to him wrapped her arm around him with a warm hug.  Embracing her cheeks he placed a kiss on her forehead.

“Sleep well my child,” He smiled.

Standing she walked to the door and repeated the same. “Sleep well papa”

Running through the corridor she saw Alice that met her with a smile.

“Off to bed now, on with you,” Following her into her room she stoked the fire at her hearth and tucked Brienna in.

Before long all was quiet.

****

On a hill from far away Defoe gave the signal for the sneak attack. The outer walls were breeched and immediately horns were blown and the chapel bell tolled.

The warriors approached and the keeps men were outnumbered they were fully armed and seizing control quickly. Hand-to-hand combat began immediately in the courtyard and bailey.

The dreadful screams and chapel bell woke Brienna. Running quickly to the window she could see the battle below. More than a hundred men ensued in battle with their swords keeping the enemy from entering the greathall the deafening shouts and clangs of steel rang in her ears.

“Brienna!” Her father shouted as he burst open the door to her room.

Crying in fright she ran into his arms. “ Papa, what is happening?”

“We are under attack my child, I want you to hide,"  quickly he pulled her to the huge trunk in the corner.

Pulling out a dagger from his belt he placed it firmly in her hands.  Kneeling before her he breathed quickly and looked into her eyes. There was fright and worry that looked back at her.

The screams and shouts continued below.  “Now listen to me love, no matter what ,you must hide and stay here until I come for you. Do you understand?” He shouted.

Nodding he questioned her again and repeated what he said.

Helping her into the trunk he gave her strong hugs and placed cloths and blankets ontop of her. Closing the trunk he ran out and closed her door.

Frightened and crying she lay in the trunk and waited as she was told. A loud bang shook the walls and screams of the doors to the great hall was breeched.

Footfall and loud noises where in the corridor loud bangs of all the doors being kicked in and rooms ramsacked.  Below, Hugh fought and was deep in sword combat his men one by one were struck down. His only thought went back to Brienna.