Unexpected Guests

~Malia~

"And which spoon do we use during dinner when having been invited to a royal function?"

I grabbed the spoon which I thought was the correct answer but by the resounding sigh that my grandmother exuded, I realized I must have chosen incorrectly.

"I'm sorry, this is all just so brand new to me. Back home, I ate to-go food out of the container with plastic silverware and I had to basically shovel it into my mouth otherwise I'd be in serious trouble if he found out that I'd bought food..." I trailed off, realizing that that was the first time I'd spoken about Robert and my home life without breaking down into hysterics or mania.

Maybe I was getting...better?

My grandmother looked just as taken aback as she'd never really heard me speak about my time back home, and she had probably assumed that I never would.

Her blue eyes misted over but she quickly composed herself and we continued our lesson as if I hadn't just made serious progress with my damage.

We were looking through dresses for my introduction to society party when the doorbell rang, and I wondered who would have been coming by so late when I knew that we had to keep the ruse up with my family as well that I was on the outs with Louis.

Mar came into the room and fashioned a confused stare my way.

"What is it, dear? Malia and I were just trying to pick from the pale pink and the traditional white."

"Traditional white is too outdated, always go with the more modern choice nowadays, it resonates well with the younger generation. Malia, you have a...gentleman at the door for you."

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. Surely Louis wouldn't blow our cover so soon, would he?

I thought back to our amazing night just twenty four hours earlier and about how perfect that night had been. I had been itching to see him in person ever since we said our goodbyes but I knew what was at stake if we weren't careful.

"Okay..."

I followed Mar to the landing of the stairs and to my surprise Henry and Daniel were standing in the entryway of our house, dressed far too formally for a casual night after school.

My day had been relatively quiet as Louis had royal business to attend to that day so I didn't have to worry about him hanging onto some random girl after the epic night that we'd had less than twelve hours before.

"Daniel, Henry...to what do I owe the pleasure of your company?" I asked dryly, hardly hiding the disappointment that it wasn't Louis waiting for me at my door.

"Lady Spencer, we were hoping to make your acquaintance this evening at my mother's annual charity ball. Would you do me the honor of being my esteemed guest?"

"I-but I was just in the middle of my lessons and-"

"Oh dear it's no problem we were just finishing up anyway. She would love to!"

I turned wide eyed to my grandmother who had just spoken for me. No help there, I turned to Mar and got the answer in her half smirk and slight nodding of her head.

"It...would be my honor to accompany you."

Henry's usually arrogant face transformed into a bright smile and I immediately regretted my decision, meaning that I would probably have to be nice to him the rest of the night.

Although he did look dashing in a black suit coat and black button up with matching slacks and shoes, I wouldn't forget the nasty encounter we'd had in the bunker after the bomb had exploded at Big Ben.