23 | Note

Your uncle coughed before he addressed you at the dinner table. "Your selfish actions have consequences, (y/n). If you went back to the Todoroki household, we would have to struggle far less."

"That's quite enough, Daiki. My daughter comes before money. I have got savings I am willing to use. We will make ends meet," your father said from his wheelchair.

You took in this exchange carefully, making sure not to miss anything. If uncle Daiki's getting so worked up about money, how come he's got that fancy new computer in his office?

Your uncle blew out some smoke from his cigarette. "Train tickets are expensive, too. Why do you insist on having (y/n) do it? You have to accept that it must be hard on her, not being able to have a proper rest every other weekend."

"Uncle Daiki, I really don't mind it at all. In fact, I enjoy coming back home." Being at home gave you the chance to spend time with your dad. It also allowed you to uncover some of your uncle's secret life, which you pondered might be the reason why he was trying to make you stay away.

Your father dropped his chopsticks inside his bowl. "(y/n), this time, I see Daiki's point. Would you mind coming home less often?"

You didn't want to show that you were on to your uncle, so you put on an act. "I do mind, but I understand if I can't come as often."

As you acknowledged that this was yet another sacrifice you had to make to meet your goal of becoming a hero, you caught sight of your uncle's satisfied grin.

---

When you were about to open the door to your dorm room, a note fell out of your school bag. You picked it up after it got crumpled under your feet. As you opened it, you took in the tidy handwriting. You realised who had left it for you: Todoroki.

Dear (y/n),

I didn't tell you why I didn't see you off last weekend. I find it hard to put the reason into words, so please bear with me. Trust me when I say that I meant no harm. I was visiting a close relative in hospital. I would like you to meet her one day.

I hope your internship goes well.

Best wishes,

Shoto

P.S. Could you give me a call to help me wake up at six o'clock every day this week? My alarm is broken.

You raised an eyebrow at Todoroki's note. He probably expected you to do some school work over the weekend, so you would find the piece of paper in time. Though, if it wasn't for the fact that you had to empty the contents of your bag to find your key to the dorms, you would have missed it. You chuckled as you imagined a sleepy Todoroki being late for his internship.

---

Having spent the last ten minutes pacing around your room, you held your phone in front of you and sat at the edge of your bed. At six o'clock sharp, you called the half-and-half boy. Bringing your phone closer to your ear, you waited.

When he picked up, you surprised yourself by jolting in your place in joy. "Good morning," you said.

"Morning." Your heart sped up when you heard his groggy voice.

"Shoto?"

"Yeah?"

Twiddling with the hems of your pyjamas, your mind went blank. As if the only reason why you had called his name was to confirm that this was really happening. "Good morning."

"You already said that, (y/n)."

"Oh, yeah." Though you wanted to laugh at yourself, you pressed your palm against your forehead, hoping that this would quell the butterflies having a party of their own in your stomach. "Have a nice day!"