24

Three glorious months had passed and summer quickly turned to autumn. Happiness isn't even the word to describe how I felt at that moment in time, my life was perfect. You didn't mention Max being my ex neighbour, you didn't even seem to notice. Your stuff now cluttered my apartment and mine was all over your house. We were comfortable but not too comfortable, we were still trying to impress each-other like we had just met each-other that day.

I was sitting in your living room, you made coffee, claimed it was for both but ended up lying on the floor helping Cody build a Hot Wheels set. You were adamant you were going to get it finished today but you were distracted, we all were. You were struggling with tiny pieces while Cody played with the cars. Honey sat next to me on the couch with her now boyfriend Chris, the forty something year old jeans salesman. I was slightly concerned but you and Eddi assured me that this was normal, her boyfriends were either too young or too old and she did it all to get attention. We were all relaxed until Eddi walked in with her head in her hands, she was panicking which you picked up on straight away and sat up.

"Kels, you can play a base guitar. Jesus, tell me you can play a base" she said frantically as you nodded. "You know I can, where is this going ?" you asked suspiciously as she took a breath. "The band have a show tonight and Josh, of course, fucking Josh got the measles. Unbelievable. It couldn't have been just a head cold. I need a base player" she begged as you sighed. "I don't know Eds" you began as she rolled her eyes. "The venue is Devilles, come on, you love it there and you know all of our songs. I've seen you while we rehearsed, we've all said could give Josh a run for his money. You know I wouldn't ask" she went on as you just smiled at nodded. Eddi was over the moon, she ran into the kitchen, probably to tell her bandmates the good news and then Honey called her back.

"I'm working tonight, you know Chris plays base. Why didn't you ask him ?" she asked as you scoffed. "Because she didn't want a registered sex offender, she plays for teenagers" you said like it was obvious and Eddi and I burst into a fit of laughter. This was the new you, you weren't afraid to joke, make comments, you said what you felt and I loved it. "After a nasty remark like that, Chris won't be watching Cody tonight" she said through a shrug, like that was supposed to spite you but you just nodded. "Thank you for the offer but I wouldn't leave him with him if you paid me. I was taking him anyway" I loved this, my life was nothing but perfect, there was nothing you could do wrong in my eyes.

You spent most of the day picking an outfit and settled on a boho look, a long patterned dress with a slit on the leg and a floppy hat. You looked beautiful but that word didn't even apply to you anymore because you were so much more than that in my eyes. I wish there was a word stronger than that, a word that said you were more than beautiful because you were the exact definition of it. You laughed the whole way to the subway station with Cody sitting on your shoulders. You turned into a tour guide as you walked informing both of us about buildings, random streets and cake shops you had been to. You skipped and twirled and Cody loved it. He idolized you and I knew he was excited to watch you play. It was as if Max had just slipped out of his mind which I didn't expect because Max was his father but he clearly didn't see him as one. Sure, he still asked, but it wasn't the worried "when is he coming back", he asked now as if he didn't want him to.

You found Cody a seat and stood in front of him like a guard, the same way you did at your party, it gave you the security that no one could get to him. Kelsey, I couldn't say seeing that platform didn't sting a bit but only because that's where Beck and I really noticed each-other. I'm over it now, completely over it, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't sting. You were the happiest I've ever seen you, you danced with a drunk on the subway and you laughed, a genuine laugh, you were enjoying yourself and we hadn't even got there yet. You were a ray of sunshine, a ball of fun and all of these people saw it. Commuters, people ready to get drunk, people with their kids. All different types of people. You kissed me and talked a lot, you talked about Eddi's band, you were nervous but it was evident in your voice that you were excited, you picked Cody up at one stage and danced, there was no music but you still danced. You hadn't drank or taken anything, so I knew it was nothing to do with that, you were just happy, this was Kelsey-Jay Elliott in her element.