Nishinoya Yuu - Step

AU: Dance Prodigy

Requested

Word Count: 1.6K+

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•

A five, six, seven eight.

Your feet hurt. It was something you'd always be able to handle, the curve of your feet as the pushed into the expensively matted floor. It took years to achieve the form you had polished tirelessly. The slightly hyperextended knees and arms, toes that could curl and reach the floor while you sat with your legs stretched in front of you, the flexible spine, neck, and hip sockets. You worked for this form.

Head up.

You gently led your arm in a circle through the air before leaning down to touch your toes that pointed into the floor. Your back cracked as you rotated around into an arabesque. Your hip popped as you rotated it above your head. Your ankle twisted as you descended too quickly. Years of training led to this moment. Bright light bounced off your skin. The stiff build of your skirt showed off your legs as they extended and moved flawlessly, carrying you across the stage. Music fluttered gently across the hall, each sound matched a movement. Your leg hurt. As you made centre stage the music faded out, the curtain slowly closed, and the lights dimmed as the applause roared through the open air around you. The draping velvet cloth made contact in front of you, and as it did your leg gave way.

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•

"Your Achilles tendon tore. It's about 12 weeks of recovery time, but you'll need to rehabilitate afterwards. I'm sorry."

The doctor left, closing the door gently behind him. The stiff fabric of the hospital bedding folded tightly between your fingers as your fists clenched. You glared at your elevated leg. At your bedside was your instructor who stared down at her clenched fists, breathing heavily as if she were about to burst.

"This is my fault. If I hadn't pushed you-"

"Stop," you turned your head in her direction. "The fault is all mine. I've been having ankle pain for a few weeks. I never said anything but I never imagined it would turn out like this."

It wasn't a total lie. The pain in your leg had only started a week prior, after taking a small tumble while you practiced privately.

She sighed, "You're still young, you'll recover quickly. But-"

You nodded, biting your lip. "But I won't make it to the academy. I know."

"Ballet will be too harsh on your body, you could probably get back into it but you'll likely never get to the point where you were yesterday."

You looked at your teacher, "then what do I do?"

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•