22 :: true feelings & careful lies

ahhh i'm sorry it was late but this
chap was so hard?? and for what reason
i have no idea 💀💀💀

♡♡︎♡

When Taehyung woke up at that morning, Jeongguk was already gone.

It made sense that the younger would get up as early as he could to go see his own mom. Taehyung would have acted the same if he heard one of his dads had a stroke, and plus he wasn't an idiot; he understood how much she meant to Jeongguk.

That was why they were here instead of spending the week break at the boarding school like every other year. Usually this was a rest period.

But this, this wasn't a vacation— Jeongguk's mom was sick, and who knew if she was going to die.

He got up after brushing his teeth and hair, seeing that he didn't want to embarass Jeongguk at all around the family members that did stay back. He headed down the stairs, surprised to hear the tv was on and the thick aroma of pancakes filled the air.

Taehyung waved at the little girls who were eating their pancakes by the tv, and he noticed even they weren't as energetic. Did something happen?

Upon entering the kitchen, he was surprised that June wasn't the one cooking but a different taller, more athletically built woman with a black pixie cut. He guessed that June might have left along with Jeongguk, and that this person was his sister.

Hyejung, was it? Yes, that was her name. Taehyung didn't really struggle with names, but all the Jeons were like carbon copies of one another that he even struggled to tell apart the two youngest.

"You're Taehyung, right?"

He stopped by the kitchen door, flinching, not at all expecting Hyejung to turn around so fast before he could fully entire. He blinked a couple times, failing to find any words as she stared at him, eyes curious.

"Don't worry. I don't bite like my brother," She chuckled, but despite her best efforts to seem okay, the dark circles beneath her eyes and her heavy laughter said otherwise.

"How are you doing?" Taehyung slipped into the kitchen, deciding standing by the island was good enough. Starting a conversation with her wouldn't hurt; after all, this was like the phone calls but in person.

"M'holding up. Somebody has to take care of the house, right?" Hyejung said cheerfully, pouring every ounce of herself into seeming energetic.

Taehyung swallowed, not knowing what he should do or say. He stood awkwardly by the counter, and he could tell both of them know that her act wasn't true— it was obvious, though he wasn't sure if he had the right to mention it.

Eventually, the silence was unbearable and Hyejung let out a tired sigh, "It's been a rough night. She had one out of nowhere, and the doctors won't tell us if it was bad or not."

"I'm sorry about that," Taehyung whispered softly, watching her run a hand down her face. "If you need help, I can watch the girls so you can rest?"

"Don't, no. It's fine, Tae," Hyejung waved her hand, shaking her head. "You're here as a guest. I don't want our personal problems to ruin your break."