fifteen.

Lucifers P.O.V:

A chill runs down my spine, making me shiver, ironic since I'm in hell.
I chuckle.

I cross my left leg over my right,
the hard, stone, throne was never in my top 10 places to be stuck for eternity.

Ash rains around me constantly, I look over my empire with disgust. I have changed, I shouldn't be here anymore.

Looking down I scoff, "bloody hell," I wipe some of the ash off of my pants

If I'm being honest, I regret coming back here. But, if I stay on earth that would only put the detective- chloe, in danger, and I would never do that on purpose.

She will cry, she will mourn, she will grieve, but she will move on. She will be okay.
The loss of me, isn't that great of a loss in itself.

It has felt like forever since I left earth, I never quite got the timing right- maybe six months?
Debatable.

I no longer have my best friend by my side, but I need to keep her safe- and her little urchin of a child.
I felt lighter, but not in a good way- I felt lighter in the way where it hurts, like a void, a cavity. I found love, true honest love and happiness, and I've left it behind.

I didn't only lose a colleague, or a friend, but I lost the love of my life- and I would do it again if I knew it kept her safe.
Now all I have is memories, pain and ashy pants.

I miss earth, but I promised not to return- I said goodbye.

I once again, brush some ash off my pants, to no avail. I roll my eyes.
A high pitched scream pierces my ears, I jump.

"What in the-" I pause when i hear her voice

"Lucifer, if you can hear me" there's a small pause before it continues, "please come back."

I don't understand, how could that happen, it's never happened before-
Although, I've never loved anyone before.

Her voice, sounded hurt. Like she's truly broken, devastated.
And I caused it.

I've tried to save her, but I ended up hurting her.
Once again.

"She prayed to me, she thinks I'm still an angel." I whisper,
After seeing me as the literal devil, after everything we've been through.
She still thinks I'm an angel.

I grip my arm rest with uncertainty, I could fly home today- and stop her hurting, but for how long? I would only hurt her more later on.

"I need you." Her familiar voice reins through my head, this time she's crying. She's still thinking of me, after all this time.
More than anything, I want to hold her, to wrap my arms around her and never let go.
But I can't.

Pain, joy, and confusion flood through my body.

Why is this happening?
She's supposed to be moving on, not thinking of me.

I wonder if she knows I can hear her, if she will still talk to me like this again, years from now.
That's selfish.

"I love you chloe," I whisper, clasping my palm over my mouth. I hide my face.

But she can't hear me.