Chapter Ten

He had vanished. Completely disappeared. Rose was pulling her hair out and feeling sick to the bone with each day that passed with no sign of him. Royal Guards were searching for Prince Algernon all hours of the day, but so far, each report had retuned negative.

Nijah had said not to worry - he had not shown any signs of dishonesty since Korian was locked up, and it was possible that he had returned to a house they did not know about, and had no idea he was being searched for. Rose was sure Nijah was treating her like a child who could not be trusted and shielding her from the real dark truth though. She had noticed a steep increase in the number of guards roaming the palace and gardens, and she always felt on edge and as though something deeper was going on.

In the past week there had been some good news though, as Nijah had announced that she was pregnant again, so everyone had been distracted with celebrations. Rose had not seen Romi in a number of days as Aurora had extended her stay, and she was busy helping with the children and planning an honorary party for the new baby. Rose felt bad that Nijah and Henri were under pressure because of the Algernon situation, when they should just be able to relax and focus on the arrival of their new little one.

Rose had planned to see Romi that evening to check that everything was all right with him. The awkwardness after they woke up together seemed to have disappeared, and Rose felt as though they were closer now. It was inevitable considering he was quickly becoming one of her closest friends, as he knew her darkest secret and had not once brought it up or told anyone. He was a true gentleman, and his amicable nature was sweet enough to entice anyone into his life.

As she dawdled along the path to the stables, bathing in the fading sunlight casting beauteous pinks and bright oranges in the softly fading sky, she felt the familiar excitement of seeing Romi start to flow through her. She knew no one like him, and was excited to spend a few hours in his refreshing company.

"Hello Uriah!" Rose exclaimed as she saw the stable hand coming out of the stables with a wheelbarrow of dung.

"Ah good evening Princess! Have you had a good day?" He called out with a long piece of straw hanging precariously from his mouth.

"Yes thank you Uriah! Is Romi around?" She asked with a spring in her step.

"Yes I think he is at the back of the stables washing the last of the horses down." He revealed in his rich, twangy accent.

"Thank you! Have a good evening!" Rose waved as she made her way inside.

She whistled lowly as she bounced along to the back of the stables, and saw Romi outside of the open doors casted in golden sunlight. He was breath taking, and so gentle yet masculine, able to carry two crates of water and a bag of horse food at the same time. She had not seen him topless yet, which was both a relief and a pity, but she knew that if she did ever see him in a state of undress she would probably feint.

He was washing down one of the horses legs, and looked up as the remaining grooms said goodbye to Rose. They were now alone.

"Hello Rose!" Romi called out with a charming smile.

"Hello Romi! I thought I would come and see you before you go home." Rose explained as she came to a stop leaning against the door.

"That is kind of you Rose. How was your day?" Romi asked, looking over his shoulder as he knelt to dry off the horse's legs.

"It was good thank you... Sorry I have not come to see you sooner."

"Oh do not worry Rose, we are both busy. I hear you are expecting a new niece or nephew... Congratulations." Romi winked as he stood up straight and stretched, making his back muscles ripple enticingly.