11

He is currently being deeply immersed by the book he’s reading.

Given, it isn't the first time Soobin has read this book but it wouldn’t hurt to pretend it’s something he’s never seen before. He flipped the page carefully, the gentle sound of the papers resonating around his small quiet room.

There isn't much to do today, he was just called earlier for his monthly check-ups and was quickly dismissed. And since there’s basically nothing else he could do to pass time (also because he’s feeling extremely lazy to do anything), Soobin decided to pay attention on the books resting peacefully on his little bookshelf Namjoon gifted him with two years ago.

And that brought him in his situation now, brows creased in deep attentiveness while he reads the lines inked in each page.

“Seriously?” An unexpected voice suddenly burst through the silence and caught Soobin’s ears as he shot his head up towards the door where the owner of the said voice stands. His hands instinctively closed the book with his thumb being tucked in between so he could easily open it back again to where he left on.

“You like hurting, don’t you?” said the same voice as he takes leisure strides towards where Soobin is. He then sat down beside the boy on the windowsill, his legs falling freely as he swings them lightly.

“I’ve read it a few times before so I guess it wouldn’t hurt that much this time.” Soobin shrugs, his index finger pushing back his glasses up that’s sliding down on his nose. After that, he proceeds to open the book again but it seems that he wasn’t fast enough since Yeonjun just snatched it away from his hold.

“The Fault in Our Stars will always hurt the same no matter how many times you read it.” Yeonjun stated sternly like it’s some common knowledge. He’s even moving the book tauntingly in front of Soobin’s face as if that would accentuate his point.

The dark haired boy only rolled his eyes but made no attempt in stealing the book back. He just slumped down, pressing his back further onto the closed window and watched as Yeonjun scanned through the pages now, like he’s searching for something with his lower lip slightly jutted out.

Without either of the two noticing, Soobin had already lost himself into staring. His gaze wandering all over the brunette’s face as he observes every little change of detail on Yeonjun’s features.

He wouldn’t want to admit it out loud but he finds the male’s appearance quite pleasing in the eyes. The kind you would want to see to calm down and ease your tangled thoughts. Yeonjun unknowingly has that aptitude in him. He has this ability to vanish all negative forces and would make you feel at peace with something as simple as his smile.

He’s like this little surge of serenity amidst a total chaos.

And unlike Yeonjun, Soobin is well aware of that.

“Here,” Yeonjun suddenly muttered, scooting closer to Soobin with the intent of showing him something from the book. “This one’s my favorite part.”

Soobin went to read what Yeonjun is pointing to and his face instantly contorted into confusion, “For real?”

Yeonjun nodded, oblivious of the other male’s skeptic look on him.

“But this is the part where Augustus died.”

“Exactly.”

“Your favorite part is his death, out of everything?”

“Yep.” Soobin’s face remains blunt as he doesn’t know what to make out of this information. Upon noticing this, Yeonjun nudged Soobin by the arm and grins. “There’s more to it, okay! Stop giving me that look.” He added quickly, absentmindedly talking in pout.

For the time they had spent together, it’s one of the things Soobin has noticed and is secretly (read: completely) endeared of. It amuses him how the boy who’s supposed to be older than him has the tendency to act like a child without him knowing. It’s like, Yeonjun isn't aware that he’s being like that and it makes it (him) even more endearing, to say the least.

“And what reason could it be?” Soobin questioned after realizing that he’s about to be drifted off again by his thoughts.

It seemed as though Yeonjun was just waiting for him to ask that and the moment he did, the brunette scooted even closer to him rather eagerly. Soobin didn’t understand why his breath hitched for a split second the moment their thighs and arms made contact with each other.

He brushed it off, thinking that he just wasn’t expecting the sudden decrease of distance between them.

“Look,” Yeonjun pointed down again on the book enthusiastically like he’s about to explain about some new scientific discovery that could change the world. “In here, it said that Augustus died 8 days after his pre-funeral, right?”

Soobin slowly nodded, still unable to see how is that related to anything. “Yeah, and? How come it’s that relevant?”

The brunette rolled his eyes at that, looking up to Soobin who backed away a little bit because Yeonjun is kind of invading his personal space.

“Because Binnie, 8 looks like an infinity sign when you flip it horizontally.” Yeonjun explains while looking straight at him. Soobin finds it unfair how he does that so effortlessly when he’s there, summoning all of his will power not to give in and completely go mad.

But being this close and seeing Yeonjun’s eyelashes delicately grazing over his cheekbones is making it difficult for Soobin. Also add the fact that Yeonjun is looking at him like that—

Shit, Soobin needs to breathe.

“That’s—“ Soobin wasn’t able to finish his sentence when Yeonjun talked again and interrupted him, leaning a bit further towards him that Soobin has to grab the surface he’s sitting on hard with both hands as to not tumble over from shifting away.

“—what Hazel wrote in her eulogy; about the infinities. And I love that part so much. I mean, out of all days Augustus could have died, he died 8 days after. That’s so well thought out and it matches what Hazel said,

“You gave me a forever within the numbered days.”  They both finished at the same time, eyes staring right into each other and Soobin shouldn’t be feeling like this over a stupid line he had read over a dozen times.

He really shouldn’t. And yet, he still does.

Until he snaps out of it and gently pushes Yeonjun back by his shoulders.

“That’s one way to put it.” He forced himself to let out a smile as genuinely looking as he possibly could.

“Yeah,” Yeonjun breathes out. A small smile playing on his lips and he looks down after, now realizing just what on earth was that he did and played with the hem of his pale yellow sweater. It suits him, makes him appear livelier than usual.

“So, do you see why I like it now?” He then asked after clearing his throat to avoid the possible growth of awkwardness. He did it once he finally found the courage to look back up again to Soobin with his infamous bright smile.

The dark haired male shrugged, getting the book out of Yeonjun’s hand and leaned his head against the windowpane with a playful grin.

“Yeah I see it but,” Soobin trailed off, earning an urging look from the brunette to get him to continue, “Isaac can’t.”

Yeonjun let out a dramatic gasp before he lunged forward to Soobin and land a smack on his arm. Both males silently laughing as Yeonjun widen his eyes at Soobin in disbelief although he’s also trying to suppress his giggles.

“You’re so mean!”

“It was because of your influence!”

“Don’t blame your brash attitude on me!”

And all of a sudden, the book doesn’t even matter anymore and was put into oblivion as they share playful banters and laughs with each other.

~~~
im sorry for the TFIOS spoiler (to those who haven't watch/read it yet)