Chapter 22: Master of Arms

Dana let out her breath: her last arrow hit the bullseye, just as the previous two. She slowed down her horse, bringing him to a halt in front of the judges. She bowed and smiled, satisfied. The first part had gone well, she was qualified for the katas. She bent and patted her mount’s neck, glad that Liam agreed to lend him to her for the competition. There were twenty-seven contestants for the title this year, and she was the only female. Only once in history had the title been won by a woman, and she sure intended to be the second.

She dismounted, leading the calm little pony back to rest in the stables, outside the stadium where the contest took place. Only two of her rivals were eliminated, their shots ever so slightly inaccurate. Precision was the key, a perfect aim being the minimum requirement. Speed was taken into account at the end of the competition only, if two people achieved the ideal score, which had never happened. She smirked: if it came to that, she was certain to win.

Leaving the horse to the stable hand, she walked back to her locker, in the basement. She had to eat and change for the katas, and had plenty of time, having pulled the number twenty-seven. Going last was good and bad; she would have to perform better than anyone else to impress the judges, but she would remain in their memory. And with Liam’s help, she had put quite an act together.

Opening the small compartment, she grabbed an energy bar and began to munch on it, before picking up the small package that Liam gave her earlier: her outfit for the katas. He had insisted on providing it, and made it a surprise. Shrugging her shoulders, she locked the door and stepped into the changing rooms; that guy was really strange sometimes.

She got rid of her sleeveless shirt and loose trousers and untied the string holding the box closed. Opening it, she found an envelope that she put aside, and pulled the bundle of black fabric out, unfolding it. She gasped and cringed; that was a joke, he couldn’t possibly expect her to wear THAT. She tore the envelope, getting the square of paper covered in Liam’s elegant handwriting out:

Dear Dana,

I guessed you would not approve of this, hence the mystery. But you have no choice now, haven’t you. Unless you choose to go naked, which I personally wouldn’t mind.

This outfit will showcase you, especially when you’ll start to glow with the effort. You need to make an impression, and it will add much to the visual effect. You are a beautiful woman, I’m sure you can pull it off.

Don’t thank me, it’s my pleasure,

Liam

“Your pleasure my arse, you twisted pervert!” she grumbled, her eyes set on what was meant to be clothing. That was great! The place was packed, most of the population of the island pressed in it. She was going to make such a fool of herself!

But as he said, she was stuck with it, her normal attire wouldn’t do. Whatever was worn for the katas had to be skin tight, allowing the judges to watch the placement of every segment. Men usually wore only shorts, but she was reluctant to exposing herself to this many people.

Sighing, she removed her underwear and slipped the thing on, twisting and turning to avoid tearing it.

It took her a while, but she eventually stood in front of the mirror, frowning in disbelief at the sight. Sure, nobody would mistake her for a male. Her chest was barely covered by a band of black fabric, her bottom clad in assorted short shorts. Her arms, legs, back and belly were wrapped in beautiful, flexible black lace, leaving only her feet and hands bare. She, Dana Sand, commander and ultimate tomboy, was wearing black lace. She was going to hear about that for a century at least. She tightened her fists; Liam was dead meat.

                                                     _________________________________

Her name was called and she entered the arena, noticing Liam and Kate in the VIP area, straight in front of her. His face was a blank, but she caught the glimpse of amusement in his eyes. She glared at him, and waved back to Kate. Looking around, she saw Jan, staring at her, clearly torn between shock and hilarity. He gave her a thumb up, before bursting into a fit of laughter, unheard amidst the catcalls and wolf whistles.