15

GALLY STEPPED BACK and opened the door wider

GALLY STEPPED BACK and opened the door wider. "Come in."

Minho had no idea how to act or what to say, seeing his old friend like that. He forced himself to follow Thomas into the room and the sight inside brought more questions into his mind.

It was a dark but tidy room with no furniture, and it smelled like bacon. A yellow blanket had been hung over the large window, giving the place an eerie glow.

This was way worse than the Slammer.

Did he live here? How could he shucking live here?

"Have a seat," Gally said, and Minho almost retorted 'where?'

They sat down on the bare floor, he and his friends in a line with Gally facing them like a judge.

"You know Minho," Thomas began awkwardly. Minho gave Gally a curt nod, and the latter returned it with the same gesture. "This is Brenda and Jorge. They're from WICKED but—"

"I know who they are," Gally interrupted. He didn't sound mad, just kind of numb, "Those shucks at WICKED gave me my past back. Without asking I might add."

His gaze focused on Reggie, "Good to see you're alive."

Reggie gave him a lopsided smile, "You too, Gal."

"Where's the slinthead?"

"Who?"

"Frankie, who else."

Thomas gaped at him, "Frankie? You know Frankie's alive?"

"Last I heard she was sent to the Scorch with these three shanks, and since they're here..."

"She's at the Berg with Newt," Minho said.

Then Gally shifted his attention to Minho, "Hey, you were real nice to me in our last Gathering. Thanks for that."

The sarcasm was thick.

Minho remembered throwing Gally to the floor, threatening him for his stupid actions. He ran his fingers through his hair, "I'd had a bad day."

"Yeah, well," Gally said, snickering, "Let bygones be bygones, right?"

"I'm sorry about what I did."

"You're sorry? I killed Chuck. He's dead, because of me."

"It wasn't your fault," Brenda said. Her tone was soothing, but it didn't work.

"That's a bunch of klunk," Gally said stiffly, "If I had any kind of guts, maybe I could've stopped them from controlling me. But I let them do it to me 'cause I thought I'd be killing Thomas, not Chuck. Not in a million years would I have let myself murder that poor kid."

"How generous of you," Minho said, rolling his eyes.

"So you wanted me dead?" Thomas asked, surprised by his honesty.