Summer Heat And ... Another Kind Of Heat

I woke up the next morning with a warm chest pressed against my back and strong arms wrapped around my waist, big hands resting on my belly. This would be every morning from now on; I knew it. Smiling, I snuggled closer to Geralt, not knowing he was already awake.

"Morning," his raspy morning-voice rumbled directly next to my ear, followed by a soft kiss to the spot where my jaw met my neck.

"Morning," I echoed, turning around in his arms. When I faced him, his eyes were still closed and a soft smile played on his lips. Ever so gently, I let my finger trace his skin from the temple to his strong jaw. He was always handsome, but in moments like these, when he was completely relaxed, he was simply gorgeous.

When my thumb brushed the edge of his bottom lip, Geralt opened his eyes. His gaze was just as soft as his smile as he leaned forwards a little and kissed me gently. And I responded, lazy from the sleep slowly leaving my body.

Carefully, Geralt rolled us over, so I was lying on my back. His mouth left mine and kissed down my body – rather quickly, I must say, but I knew what he was up to. Once he reached my swollen belly, he peppered soft kisses all over the bump.

"Good morning, little one," he mumbled against my skin.

Again, a tear of joy slipped from my eye and I laughed. Geralt returned to the pillows and kissed away the tear.

"What is it, my love?"

"Nothing," I sniffed a little, "Just... this is exactly what I wanted for us. And I still can't fully believe it. It feels more like a dream."

"Believe me, my love, this is real," Geralt murmured, dipping his head down to capture my lips in his for a short moment. Then he pulled back, smirking. "Didn't you have plans for today?"

"Hmm," I hummed, agreeing, while I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him back down. "But can't I just enjoy my husband being back, even for a few more minutes?" I mumbled against his lips before pressing my own against them.

"If you say it like this..." Geralt chuckled once we parted.

We stayed like this for about another hour; just cuddled together, sharing kisses filled with pure love and happiness.

But soon enough – curse the early September sun, it grew too hot in our bed, even with closed shutters.

We had slept naked; we always did. Geralt's body was always hot, and if we slept dressed and cuddled together, like we did, always, we'd wake up soaked in sweat; every morning.

But now, with the hot sun rising outside, heating up our bedroom, we didn't need clothes to start sweating. Entangled like we were, soon the non-existent space between us was sticky from our sweat. But it wasn't the sweat that bothered us – hell, we were used to our sweaty bodies being pressed together. It was the heat. For once the one radiating off my husband's body – usually, and actually also currently, very much appreciated – but added to the heat of the late summer sun, it was starting to become unbearable.

And still, we didn't want to part, still so content in the moment. Still so desperate for one another's touch after being separated for three months.

Only when I started breathing heavily – easily out of breath now with a child growing inside me – the arms around me loosened their grip and I was pushed gently to lie on my back. I whined a little at the loss of contact, but I was also glad I could breathe again. The cool – well, not so cool, but at least cooler than in our embrace – air filled my lungs as I panted slightly.

Geralt, seeing that it wasn't anything serious, chuckled. "Since when are you so sensitive to heat?"

"Uhh, three months," I mumbled, still a little out of breath, "You know... since there is a child growing inside me. Pregnancy has other side effects than morning sickness, minne." I stopped for a moment. There was something different this morning than it had been the last two months. "Speaking of... I... I don't feel sick! For the first time in two months!" I more or less cheered the last part. Was it finally over? No more throwing up in the morning and feeling miserable until noon?