Chapter 53 - Do You Love Me?

Jess was coming down the stairs while Annie was at the front door accepting a tall vase filled with yellow gladiolus from a delivery man.

“Oh, Jess!” she said when she turned around, looking frazzled.  “Can you take these and find – somewhere to put them?” she asked with exasperation.  “I need to get the furniture moved out of the way in the small parlor before they deliver the bed for your uncle.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Jess replied, taking the vase from her and going into the grand parlor.

So many flowers were being delivered to her uncle that the hospital had insisted they be sent to the house, since his private room wasn’t large enough to contain them all. While she looked around to see if there was a surface available to accept another flower arrangement, she found the one place that still had space. 

Setting the vase on the closed bar cabinet, she turned around and sighed.   While having all those flowers was pretty to look at, she thought their home was starting to resemble a funeral parlor.  One good thing about it, the gate was now left open all day long so James didn’t continually have to go and unlock it.  If only this had happened when she and Marty were still together, she thought sadly.  With another sigh, she went to help Annie with the furniture.

Uncle Jonathon was coming home later that day after spending a week in the hospital and Annie had been busy getting the house ready for him.  It was decided he’d sleep downstairs so he wouldn’t have to deal with the stairs until he was healthier, and Jess’s father’s old bedroom was being prepared for a live-in nurse.  Doug had temporarily moved into his father’s room so she could have a private bathroom.

“How are you doing, pumpkin?” Annie asked gently once they’d cleared a space for the hospital bed.

“I’m okay,” she replied with a shrug.

“I know all of this can’t be easy for you,” she said, her hazel eyes full of concern.  “I told him I’m still angry at him for what he’s done,” she added firmly.  “He shouldn't have hurt you and Doug like that.”

“Do you think he understands?” Jess asked, wondering if he’d come around while he’d been at the hospital.  She hadn’t visited him once, nor had anyone suggested she should.  Annie and Doug were probably worried it would be too stressful for his weakened heart.  She thought it probably would be too, but she also wasn’t sure if she was ready to see him yet.  She was still angry about all the pain he’d caused her, and Doug.

“I don’t know,” Annie admitted quietly.  “He doesn’t say much when I bring it up.  He doesn’t say much of anything.  But then he’s never been one to talk about what’s going on inside him.  Maybe after he’s been home for a while and had time to reflect, he’ll start to open up.”

“Yeah,” Jess said, but she wasn’t sure if Annie was right.  He was so selfish and set in his ways.  Would he ever think he’d done anything wrong? 

 ~

The ambulance arrived later that afternoon with Doug following in his car.  He got out, still dressed in his suit from being at the office since the early morning and nervously hovered nearby while white uniformed men opened the back.  After the nurse climbed out, they pulled out the gurney with Uncle Jonathon strapped to it, and Jess's mouth dropped open with shock.  He looked visibly older, with more gray in his hair and deep lines etched in his pale, drawn face. 

Once they got the gurney in the small parlor and near his bed, they had to help him off.  When he stood, Jess was surprised again.  Wearing pajamas and a robe, he looked smaller, as if the heart attack had diminished him somehow.  While he was struggling to get onto the bed, he lifted his head, meeting Jess’s eyes, and then immediately looked away with embarrassment.  After a hesitation, she decided to step out to give him his privacy.