Prologue

It was a typical day in the houseboat, or as typical as any day can get. The kids were up and ready for the babysitter. I was almost ready for work. Uncle Donald was... squawking about something. Perfectly normal.

I studied myself in the mirror and adjusted my tawny feathers, pulling my long, curly hair into a high ponytail. I stared at the bags under my eyes and sighed. No matter what I did, I still looked exhausted. I adjusted my uniform and did one last look-over before making my way to the kitchen.

As I made my way to the kitchen, I saw my Uncle halfway on the floor, fighting with the dishwasher over his sailor uniform, and... naked. I averted my eyes and shook my head.

"Geez Uncle Donald, there are girls in the house!" I complained.

He squawked angrily in response, before turning to scold Louie.

I ignored them and beelined towards the coffee pot, pouring some coffee into my thermos and adding the right amount of creamer. My brother, Huey, gave me a disapproving look. "It's either this or nicotine, hun," I told him. He grimaced, before turning to Uncle Donald, and holding out a plate of a rather... disgusting looking breakfast. I gave him a prompt kiss on the forehead.

I scooped Louie up out of the argument between him and Donald for a moment, giving him a kiss on the forehead as well. He groaned and scrambled out of my arms. I rolled my eyes.

"Bye boys! Bye Uncle Donald! Love you guys!" I yelled as I walked toward the door. I got two responses and a squawk. I paused. Something's not right.

"Hey Dewey!?" I called.

"Yeah!?" He responded.

"I love you!" And with that I hurried out of the cramped houseboat and onto the dock. I looked at my watch to see that I had about 5 minutes until the bus arrived at its stop and 7 minutes until the subway reached its station. I decided on the bus, trying to avoid the crowds headed into downtown.

I looked up from my seat at the bus stop, seeing Donald and Huey and Louie from a distance. Both boys had their life jackets on, and Donald seemed to be contemplating. Before I could muster up any energy to care, the bus pulled up.

I paid the fare, gave a greeting to the bus driver, and began my transit to work.

~~~

I waved goodbye to Anita, the bus driver, as I got off the bus. I headed two blocks up and entered the small cafe I worked at. I did a quick scan-over all the customers and the others on the morning shift with me. It seemed that the morning rush was far from over. I took a quick sip of my coffee, before hurrying to get settled in. I clocked in and took my position at the register next to Bianca, the store's owner.

"Hey, Marina, how's it- geez," my boss, Bianca, grimaced. She gave me a worried look.

"Nice to see you too, Bianca," I replied sarcastically.

"Are you getting enough sleep, Mari? You look, well... exhausted," She took ahold of my wrist, feeling my pulse. I lightly tugged my hand away. I appreciated the concern, really, but...

I shook my head and took a customer's order, before sending it back to the on-hand staff.

"Such is life, in a houseboat full of boys," I replied, shaking my head. "You know how it is."

Bianca light patted my shoulder, as we continued our chatter through the rest of the rush.

"I don't know how you do it, Mari. Three boys and a crazy uncle? I could never."

I frowned. "Now, lay off Donald. I wouldn't call him crazy. He's eccentric. Besides, he's the only family I've got." Unless I've got some rich Uncle that I don't know about, besides Gladstone, of course. That'd be funny.

Bianca shook her head and smiled. "Always the optimist. Face it, Donald is crazy. Practically unintelligible. You can barely understand him."

I grimaced at her harsh words, taking a deep breath. Luckily for me, the company phone rang and I got another customer. Bianca left to answer the phone and I turned back to the customer.

"Oh! Good morning, Fenton," I smiled at the anxious duck in front of me.

Before he could properly respond, Bianca returned, grumbling.

"Speak of the devil, your uncle is on the phone for you, Mari."

I sighed and went over to the phone, answering it.

"Yes?" I answered. I really couldn't get called out of work anymore. We needed the money.

Uncle Donald was more squawky than usual. I had to tell him to speak more slowly at least twice.

"What do you mean? ... I can't leave, I'm barely an hour into my shift!...What do you mean the babysitter never came?" I groaned, cursing. He scolded me, and I apologized.

I finished the phone call and sighed, feeling a tension headache coming on. I closed my eyes for a second and pinched my nose. I opened my eyes to see Bianca, standing in front of me.

"Look, Bianca, I'm sorry, but-"

She held a hand up. "Don't worry about it. You're my hardest worker, please go to your family."

I promptly thanked her and grabbed my bag and thermos, leaving the shop. She's a sweetheart, really. I couldn't ask for a better boss. I sighed, taking out my phone, and opened up my maps app.

"Alright then... what's the closest bus route to McDuck Manor?"