16

JORGE WAS THE one who managed to find Hans, through someone he called 'a friend of a friend of an enemy's enemy'

It was too late, when they discovered Hans' address, so Jorge got them into a cheap motel after they had purchased some clothes and food, and they rested for the night. Thomas and Minho were stuck sleeping on the floor while the other two got the twin beds.

The next morning they showered, ate, put on their new clothes, then got a cab and went straight to the place Hans was supposedly living in. An apartment building in only slightly better shape than Gally's.

Jorge took the lead and together they climbed to the fourth floor. He knocked on a gray metal door, reading 404.

"Who are you looking for?"

"We were told this is where we can find Hans."

The lady who answered the door shrivelled suddenly. She seemed frightened of the name. "I don't know who Hans is."

She began to close the door, but Jorge held it open with his hand, "We know he's in there. Tell 'im it's Jorge."

"I've never heard of any Hans!"

"We need to see him. It's urgent!"

The push and pull lasted for a few minutes, until a gray-haired man with a wide jaw peeked over the woman's shoulder. He looked at Jorge, then to Brenda, and gravelly announced, "Let them in."

A minute or so later, Minho and his four friends were sitting around a rickety table in the kitchen, a messy chopping board and a knife was left on top of it.

"It's good to see you're okay, Brenda," Hans said, "You, too, Jorge. But I'm not in the mood to catch up. Why don't you just tell me what you want."

"I think you know the main reason we're here," Brenda replied, immediately cutting to the chase, "But we also just heard that WICKED has put a bounty on your head. We need to hurry and do this, and then you need to get out of here."

Hans heaved an intentional heavy sigh, "You've still got the implants, do ya?"

Thomas nodded nervously, "I only want the controlling device out. I don't want my memories back. And I want to know how this operation works first."

Hans wrinkled his face in disgust, "What kind of nonsense is this? Who's this week-kneed coward you brought to my place, Brenda?"

"Are there any nice people in Denver?" Minho muttered.

Hans stood up at that, pointing his finger at him. "Quiet!"

 "Quiet!"