Chapter 43

Memories of our last meeting filled my head

Memories of our last meeting filled my head. Images of Anna crumbling at my feet filtered behind my eyelids. This time there was no Tucker to pull me back from going too far. It was me and only me.

The tent, unlike last time, was unguarded.

She seemed to expect me when I pulled the tent flap aside and was greeted again by the open space. The inside of the tent hadn't changed since I'd last been here- but Anna had.

Her shoulder was wrapped in gauze, keeping her arm tight to her side. Scratches littered her weathered face, and she looked ten times older and fiercer than the last time I'd seen her.

She regarded me with cold eyes. "You shouldn't have come here."

I swallowed. Okay, not the greeting I was hoping for but... hey, she wasn't trying to kill me yet so that was progress.

"I had to speak to you."

The alpha exhaled, exasperated at my request. I could see the exhaustion taking over her body as we stood and knew that she was too stubborn to sit and show me weakness.

"May I?" I asked, motioning to the cushions on the ground. Anna grunted her assent and I settled into a seated position. After a moment, she followed wincing as she bent.

Every part of me ached to ask her what had happened to her, but I had to stay focused.

"I'm here because-"

"Because of the Codex," she finished for me. "The Codex that your father now has, thanks to you."

I swallowed. Well, at least I didn't have to catch her up on anything. I tried not to wither under her icy stare, but it was hard when the guilt was already inside of me.

"I need to know what's in it."

I need to know what my father is going to use it for.

"Power," she said simply.

"Of course," I muttered under my breath. 

What other motive could there possibly be?

"It contained centuries and centuries of your kind's research over the supernatural, ley lines, daemons, you name it. The Codex had it."

My heart sank. It had the answers I needed.

"Why did you have it?"

At this, Anna looked down, her eyes filled with a foreign emotion.

"It wasn't mine. The Codex belonged to Tommy Joy."

Then I understood.

"I'm sorry," I said genuinely. She waved it way.

"Don't be ridiculous," she grunted painfully. "It's my damn son's fault it's gone, anyway."

My brow furrowed as I gauged her expression. She seemed to be... joking. Her features had even smoothed into what looked like a smile. It surprised me into a laugh.