Prologue

Legolas' 3rd POV

Legolas looked away from Tauriel, he could not watch the pain in her face. The dwarf, Kili's eyes stared upwards into nothing. Legolas had seen death so many times, but this one was different, this one affected him because it affected Tauriel. He turned to look up at the mountain only to hear a scream.

'THORIN!'

Ebony black hair fluttered around her pale face; blood dripped from the cuts on her face, her tunic was ripped revealing shallow wounds. Legolas had seen here riding up the mountain with the dwarf king before he and Tauriel had followed. The hobbit, Bilbo, looked up from Thorin's body, with his elf eyes Legolas could see tear tracks down his muddy face. She collapsed next to Thorin's body, tears gathering in the corners of her eyes as she placed her hand either side of his face, murmuring words that he could not understand.

Bilbo placed a hand on her shoulder, 'He's gone Farren, he's gone'. Farren looked at the Hobbit and again Legolas was struck by how young she was. 'He can't be. Not after Fili. Not Thorin,' a single tear trickled down her face, she bowed her head onto Thorin's chest, shoulder shaking in silent sobs. Legolas felt his heart twinge, yet he did no know why. She was a human girl, an exceptional warrior yes, but she had helped the dwarfs.

But also saved his life. More than once.

Legolas turned away from Farren and Bilbo as Bilbo pulled Farren into a tight embrace. She looked even smaller curled in a ball in the hobbit's arms. Walking back through the destroyed fortress, his father came round the corner, concern flashing behind his eyes.

'I cannot go back' Legolas said, he had expected anger, but something flashed behind Thranduil's eyes. Understanding? He pushed by his father before Thranduil could stop him.

'Where will you go?'

'I do not know', anywhere away from Tauriel was the unspoken answer between them.

'Go North, find the Dunedain. There is a young ranger among them you should meet him. His father Arathon was a good man, his son might grow to be a great one' Legolas had never heard his father talk with such reverence of a man.

'What is his name?'

'He is known in the wild as Strider, his true name you must discover for yourself' Legolas nodded starting to walk away.

'The Dunedin are almost impossible to find, even for you Legolas, find the ranger known as Epona' Legolas' eyes narrowed he had heard that name recently, 'She will guide you'. He made it to the archway towards Erebor.

'Legolas' the tender tone of the voice made him pause 'Your mother loved you more than anyone, more than life. When you find such love' his father stressed the word when, 'Hold onto it, never let it go. Even if its hurts that girl will be the best thing you will ever have in your life'

'Girl? Don't you mean elleth? You speak as if I have already met her' He refused to look back at his father, the mention of his mother and Tauriel made his eyes blur with tears, no matter how hard he tried to fight them. His father didn't reply, so Legolas continued away. His elf hearing picked up his father's final words on the wind.

'Perhaps you have'

----------------------------------------------------
'Prince Legolas' a voice caught his attention. Gandalf stood behind him, his face was drawn, grief hung on his shoulders. 'You won't make it far without Epona'.

'Then I will find her' he replied simply.

'With no idea where she could be in the entire of Middle-Earth. You are not yourself prince. Think.' Legolas turned anger rising in his chest, he didn't need the old wizard to berate him.

'Then tell me Gandalf where to find her'. The old wizard smiled softly, he pointed towards Erebor. Riding over the plain towards them, was a figure  on a black stallion, from the gates where the rest of Thorin Okansheild company and Bilbo watched.

The stallion stopped next to Gandalf; it pawed the ground its dark eyes almost playful, eager to run. Farren sat atop the stallion, freshly dressed as a ranger.

A ranger.

'Your father said you were looking for someone I knew' her voice was neutral; she did not bear the same prejudice as the dwarfs did towards elves, but Legolas hadn't exactly been friendly towards them. To her yes. To the dwarfs...that was questionable.

Gandalf smiled warmly at her, 'Safe journey Young one', he clasped her hand looking up at her. For a second Farren looked at him sadness and confusion passing over her face. 'I will see you later' the Wizard nodded them both, 'Me and Bilbo have a long journey back'. He set off towards Erebor not looking back.

'Who do you search for?'

Legolas looked up at her, 'Strider'. Surprise crossed her features,

'You won't find him on your own'

'I'm looking first for Epona' at this Farren laughed, a sound that Legolas found surprisingly pleasant.

'Don't bother finding her Prince' at his sound of indignation, Farren extended her hand to him. It was small but calloused, her youth again surprising him. 'You've already found her'

Legolas felt his eyes widen; a playful smirk played on Farren's playful features. 'Come Princeling, let's go find my brother'. Legolas took her hand allowing her to pull him up onto the stallion with surprising strength. His arms instinctively wrapped around her small waist.

'How old are you' he yelled over the wind as the stallion galloped across the plains. A laugh was his immediate reply, '17 my Lord'

Legolas pushed some of her back hair out of his face, she had it bound in a ponytail, but it didn't stop the wind using it as a whip against his face. 'Adar what have you got me into' he thought, his hands awkwardly placed at the young girls' hips. He looked back at Erebor, fading into the distance, his elven eyes picked up his father mounted on his stag watching Legolas. Thranduil nodded at his son before turning towards the direction of Mirkwood.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N Hello all, thank you for reading the first chapter! This is a slow burn fanfiction, so don't expect the stereotypical falling in love in the first 3 chapters nonsense that I see all the time, personally, I just don't like it, it causes it all to lose the tension. 

I have tried to make this story as original and unpredictable as possible with twist and turns, so please feel free to theorise as we get later on in the story!

If you enjoyed this first chapter please leave a vote or comment as it helps out a lot. As this is a short chapter I'm posting the next one tomorrow and after that, I will try to update it weekly!

Wren