Chapter 12

Siobhan was sneakier and more clever than I initially gave her credit for. The first day, she didn't do anything to me, but as time went on, the problems began piling up. She didn't physically touch me, but she did other things like hiding my prenatal vitamins, and locking the doors to all the bathrooms. She even locked me out of my own room for a full day. Needless to say, I had the locksmith's number on speed dial over the course of a week. She would delay Esther with pointless tasks to keep me from eating on time, and even purposefully made boiled eggs for every meal, knowing that the smell triggered my nausea. Jax was none the wiser, and for some reason, I just endured it. Technically, she wasn't physically harming me. Plus, without the proof, I didn't know if Jax would believe me. Jax was looking out for the baby, but I was just the surrogate.

By my twentieth week of pregnancy, I couldn't take it anymore. I had to tell someone. I got dressed and called the driver around before going to Signa Inc. during lunchtime. I'd already texted Asher to let him know I was coming. I looked different than the last time he saw me, I was showing now. I wasn't the size of a watermelon yet, but it was clear that I was pregnant. I even had to utilize some of my stretchy maternity leggings. I walked into the company and went through security before going straight to Asher's floor. As soon as I saw him, my lip trembled with the threat of tears. I practically ran to bury my head in his chest as I sobbed. I couldn't hold back my tears as I hugged him tightly. Asher hugged me back as he shushed me patiently.

"Hey, what's wrong? Who made my Min cry?" He asked in between my sobs. I sniffles and pulled back just enough to look at his face. I felt like I hadn't seen him in forever. Asher brushes the tears off my face.

"Let's go somewhere to talk," he suggested. I nodded before he took my hand and led me to the roof. The roof was actually protected by a glass barrier because it was so high up. There were picnic tables and even a small garden. It was far from the barren death trap that most rooftops were. Asher sat me down at the picnic table and sat across from me as he waited patiently. I told him everything. I told him about Jax's parents, and Siobhan's tricks. I told him how lonely I was, how I got too attached, how much I missed a normal life; everything. Asher listened quietly, but I could see him getting angrier and angrier by the second as I talked. Still, I couldn't bring myself to stop. I had to tell him everything or I felt that the weight on my chest would never go away.

"Jax just sits back as all of this happens?" Asher seethed. I sighed and finally calmed down as I sniffles and swiped a tear off of my cheek.

"It's his fiancé, Ash. What can I say? I'm just the surrogate, and Siobhan was right: I'll be gone after the baby arrives anyway," I explained.

"That doesn't mean anyone and everyone can just treat you like trash in the meantime. You've just been enduring it all? That's not the Min I know. What happened to my fun-loving, daredevil of a spitfire Amina? Where did she go?" Asher asked sadly.

"When you're stomped on enough, you just can't find the will to get up anymore," I tried to explain. Asher stood quickly before going to the elevator. I chased after him confused. The look of determination on his face was not reassuring at all. I got into the elevator with him when it arrived.

"What are you doing?" I asked hesitantly.

"I don't care if he is my boss. I can't sit by and watch you be treated this way," Asher said. Asher made it all the way to Jax's office with me trying to stop him the whole way. Asher didn't even care. He bust through Jax's office doors as I tried to pull him back by his wrist.

"We need to talk," Asher said as he stood in front of the large mahogany desk. Jax looked up from his paperwork confused before his eyes landed on me. He stood and leaned closer while taking off his reading glasses.

"Amina, why are you here? Have you been crying? What did you do to her?" Jax asked, turning his attention back to Asher. Asher scoffed as he rolled his eyes.

"Now you ask? I'm not the one making her cry; you are!" Asher yelled at him.

"Me?" Jax asked unsurely. He looked to me for an answer but I could only avert my eyes.

"Look, I love my job, and I love this company, but I can't sit back and watch as my best friend is tormented in your house. You need to control your fiancé, or I'm taking Amina out of that house myself. I don't care what you do to me," Asher said resolutely. I pulled on his arm but he ignored me. Asher didn't even budge.

"Who, Siobhan? What is she doing?" Jax asked.

"Asher, leave it alone," I begged. Asher scoffed.

"You don't even know?" He asked rhetorically. "I respect you as a boss, but as a man... you should really do better," Asher said before grabbing my hand and pulling me towards the doors.

"Wait," Jax ordered sternly. Against my better judgement, my feet stopped in their tracks. Asher looked back to me, but I couldn't leave this way. Asher already brought it up, it was only right that I explained.

"Go ahead," I said quietly to Asher. He shook his head but I released my wrist from his grasp.

"Mind giving us a moment?" Jax asked Asher as he came to stand next to me. Asher looked at me unsurely, but I nodded. I had to talk this out with Jax now. He already knew this much.