Chapter 2

Through a restless sleep, Naegi had gone through the rest of his night and awoke feeling like he had slept on a rock. His eyes opened to the ceiling of his small room, Memories of the night before beginning to process in his head for a brief moment before tossing off the grey sheets of his bed with a groan.

Slipping on a morning robe around himself, he rummaged through his wardrobe before grasping the folded uniform in a single drawer and sighed softly, Listening to his little sister playing music from her room upstairs and both parents sound asleep.

“Good morning.” Naegi muttered drily.

After a quick shower and routine, His parents had already awoken as he was fully dressed, walking through the kitchen with a grumble while attempting to fix his tie.

“Makoto, Off so soon? You didn’t come back from your first day until 1 last night, We were worried about you.” His mother called out, flipping a pancake.

Naegi tensed up, His damp, Spiky hair flopped over his field of vision as he pushed it back with a frown.

“Yeah, De-detective stuff and all. This is a special organization after all.” He replied with a fake smile, Shoulders tense and his eyes filled with dread. 

“As proud of you as we are, Don’t work yourself to death.” His little sister chirped as he stepped forward, ruffling his sister's hair with a soft smile.

“Didn’t expect to hear such big words from a small girl.” Makoto sneered jokingly before bidding a quick farewell to his parents and stepping outside. Despite getting paired with the rudest person ever, He surely could make the best of it. With hope and luck that is. 

He eyed the pin Kirigiri had taken from him before and criticized, The male saw it as good luck in some way. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

“You’re early unlike yesterday.” Magath said, Sipping the mug at his desk. “I do hope what you saw last night didn’t ruin the ambitions you had when you first joined this organization.”

Makoto glanced upward, Clenching his fist with a fake smile.

“My goals are unwavering, Sir. I simply wish to bring the people doing this to justice.” 

“Sounds to me it's more like you wish for this to be over as quickly as possible.” He stated before pulling a small briefcase from the cabinet behind him. 

“I forgot to give you this as well, Inside of it is a basic list of things you’ll need. Ranging from a private cell that we can track in case danger arrives, And wiretaps to be put in your clothing if tracking someone you see could easily be a suspect.”

“Why not just track DNA from anything left behind?” Naegi asked, Slipping the small mic piece around his ear and putting the other phone in his back pocket. What was also in the suitcase was spare uniforms in case he became ruined for any reason.

“Unfortunately their tracks are covered too well, A few of the victim corpses we’ve analyzed have appeared to have more than several wounds in a single position.” The leader grunted in a disappointed tone while lowering his head.

“Are you saying some sort of lethal darts aren't out of the question? Something that absorbs into their bloodstream as a paralysis which will end them, Dead or alive?” Naegi asked, Pacing the floor while clutching the suitcase close to his chest.

“That’s one way to think of it, It’s surprising to see you’re still here and haven’t left this place out of Despair.” Kirigiri scoffed, Closing the door behind her.