Wattpad Original
There are 16 more free parts

Chapter 24 - Apology

Up where they rested on their black velvet cushion, the stars glittered like tiny jewels, but there was something mocking about their sparkle.

After everything Nash had done, he had never felt judged by them before. Then again, he had never done something as terrible as launch an attack on his own people.

News of the dragon strike on Irylen had spread like wildfire among the guests. After Nash returned to himself, it had been news to him too.

He started down the stairs spiralling around the tree trunk, and his thoughts swirled through his mind as the steps did at his feet.

He saw how the other elves looked at him now. The curious, sometimes hostile eyes were replaced by gazes that were hard with hatred and tense with fear. Nash wished someone would speak up to him and bring him to task for all he had done.

Nash needed someone to stop him because he couldn't stop himself.

His throat felt raw from screaming at the night sky from his balcony. He had only felt slightly better afterwards.

Irylen was an elf state, and Nash had attacked them. How many of his people had lost their possessions and livelihoods, perhaps even their lives? How many of them survived with the knowledge that it had been their king—the man who had pledged his life to serving them—who wanted to destroy them?

All it was now was a rumour.

Elves that escaped the fire reported seeing a malicious shadow that looked like a woman wearing a crown. There had also been the House of Astor crest drawn in smoke above the burning forest, a very theatrical touch. All Nash's guests could vouch for the fact that he had dragons at his disposal, only because he had tried to do something good and show them the sanctuary in the hope that they'd want to contribute to the cause too.

Nash let out a frustrated breath. What was the point of trying to be good when every story had already written him as the villain?

It was the visit to the dragon sanctuary that would expose him. It was all the solid proof that Nash was behind the attack to those who cared to look into it. It was only a matter of time before he was overthrown.

Part of Nash wanted that to happen. It was a coward's way out, he knew, but it was the only one.

Then there was a part of him that wouldn't give up so easily, that would fight to the death for the life and the reign he had always wanted, and he wondered which would finally win out.

A breeze rustled the leaves above him. He reached the landing he had been headed for, then stepped onto a branch leading off to the side.

He couldn't describe the horror he had felt when he regained his awareness in time to see Lyrani fleeing his room.

The voice in his head had a way of withdrawing at the ideal moment for Nash to see the aftermath of his actions without knowing what they had been. It was one of her favourite forms of torture.

He didn't know what he had done to scare Lyrani. Worse, he didn't know if he had hurt her or if she would ever talk to him again.

Nash wanted to tell Lyrani everything. He wanted to make her understand that this wasn't him, that he was losing himself, but he couldn't.

The shadow wouldn't let him.

He could feel her now, hovering just beneath his consciousness.

Nash had rejoiced when Queen Rayn died and saluted the ECISI agent who had brought about her execution, but he had been a foolish child. He'd had no idea of the power his grandmother would possess after death.