james sirius potter : meeting the parents

James sat beside (Y/N), his leg bouncing up and down as he grew more nervous with every passing moment. His eyes ranked across the inside of the train, the land his could see outside of the train was completely unfamiliar; also not helping his nerves.

(Y/N) rolled her eyes at her boyfriend, "James relax it's just my parents." She ran a reassuring hand over the top of his high, she hated seeing him in such distress. The last time (Y/N) had seen James even close to this anxious was the day he asked her on their first date, he had stuttered and kept his eyes wondering to anywhere but her.

He sighed, "I just want them to like me, it's very nerve racking meeting your parents." James said, taking her hand in his. Subconsciously he held her hand tighter than usual, his legs still bouncing up and down as the train pulled into the station.

This was his first time in Ireland, (Y/N)'s home country. Sure he and his family had done vast traveling but Ireland was one place they had never been. On top of visiting a new country he was meeting his girlfriends parents for the first time.

"My parents?" She asked, her tone heartfelt and amused, "Your parents literally saved the wizarding world."

James rolled his eyes, "Don't remind me." He commented, before returning to the conversation at hand. "Your parents opinions of me matter, because they're your parents." The emphasis clear in his tone as James worked to grab their bags from the above head cargo.

A half smile rose on (Y/N)'s lips at his comment. When he had first asked her out she wasn't entirely sure if he was being serious. James was a year older than her and in a different house; he in Gryffindor and she in Ravenclaw.
He was famous around campus, not just because of his parents legacy but because of his vast charisma and position on the Quidditch team. (Y/N) wasn't famous at all, not even popular within her own house.

She was sure he was asking her out as a joke, even looked over both their shoulders expecting to see a group of his friends preparing to laugh at her. (Y/N) remembered being mad at James for a split second when he asked, compelled appalled that he would partake in such a cruel joke.

James was made to reassure her constantly that their relationship was genuine, he could easily see the doubt in her face the day he asked her out. It made him sad to see the same doubt when other people commented on their relationship, when some of his house mates questioned why wizard royalty would be with someone like her. James wasn't a typically violent person, but he would be the first to admit he hated when people said things like those.

(Y/N) held his hand steadily as they got off the train, searching the crowd for her family; who had insisted on picking them up at the station. "Mom! Dad!" She exclaimed, catching sight of her parents waving hands.

James felt out of place for a moment when (Y/N) released his hand and hugged each of her parents. He slipped his hand into his pocket, the other still latched to their luggage.

"Mom, dad, this is James." He smiled as she said his name, he always loved that she introduced him as just James. Not James Sirius Potter, not Harry Potters son, not Ginny Wealsey's son, not wizard royalty; just James. (Y/N) was one of the only people that made him feel like he was his own person, not just an extension of his father and mothers adventures.

"It's a pleasure to meet you both." James said, extending his hand to (Y/N)'s mother first, giving her knuckles a soft kiss, and then to her father whose hand he held firmly.

(Y/N)'s mother quickly pulled him in for a hug, "Oh dear there's no need for such formalities." She exclaimed, wrapping her arms around his frame. "Our dear (Y/N) had deemed you worthy of her time and our presence, you're practically family already."

James felt tension release from his shoulders, having not expected her parents to be so warm and accepting of him. His eyes flickered to (Y/N)'s father, expecting his face to contradict the words of his wife, but instead James was met with a wide smile and happy face.

"Let's get going, you kids have got to be famished." Her father said, looking between both (Y/N) and James.

"Oh yes please, can we take James to the pub; I can't wait for him to try their house special?" (Y/N) asked, looking at her father happily. She was radiating pure happiness, her face nearly glowing.

Both of (Y/N)'s parents nodded in agreement, looking to James for an answer as well. "I'm here for the full experience, (Y/N) is in charge." James told them, not looking to make the decision on his own. He felt himself proud as a look of approval crossed her parents faces.

"The pub it is." Her father said, clapping his hands together before staring off to lead them out of the station.

(Y/N) reached for James' hand, both of them walking in pace with her parents but just a few steps behind. "I told you there was nothing to worry about." She told him, her voice low enough that her parents wouldn't heard.

James rolled her eyes at him with a smile on his lips, "Big surprise, you're right again." He told her, running his thumb gently across her skin. James knew that this small action made her gush, give her butterflies. Quickly, before her parents turned to catch them, James kissed her lightly on the cheek, bringing a warm blush to her cheeks.

~~~~~~~~
a/n
word count: 993